CEJ Books

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B-17 Crash Windsor Locks, CT - Loss of Collings Foundation B-17 (w/ Fatalities)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B-17 Crash Windsor Locks, CT - Loss of Collings Foundation B-17 (w/ Fatalities)

I regret to report that it has happened yet again: another aging warbird has been lost to a crash, with multiple human fatalities and other very serious injuries reported. This time it is the Collings Foundation's B-17, which crashed and burned this morning at Windsor Locks, CT.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/world-war-ii-era-aircraft-crashes-at-bradley-international-airport-in-connecticut-injuries-reported

I flew on this same aircraft almost 20 years ago when it stopped in Jackson, MS, offering the same types of sightseeing rides as it was giving this morning in Windsor Locks, CT. Also, I saw it (and the B-24) flying over Dallas, TX a few years ago when the Collings Foundation's aircraft were at Love Field for a several days stop.

Based on the media reports, it sounds like the problem occurred on takeoff with either an engine failing and/or falling from its mount. The aircraft called in mechanical problems to the control tower and made a quick turn back to the airport . . . the crash took place in connection with the landing. Reportedly it had a full load of crew + passengers; from the photos of burning wreckage it obviously had a good quantity of fuel on board.

We sure have lost a bunch of these WWII-era aircraft of late. There was the B-17 near Chicago a few years ago; the JU-52 in Switzerland; the P-47 into the Hudson River; several P-51 Mustangs (we seem to loose at least 1 a year) that I can immediately recall.

Here are a couple of photos I've seen.

Comment

WA website really does not want to cooperate in uploading the photos.
      Attached Files

Comment

Another photo . . . WA only wants to let me upload 1 photo at a time.

Comment

OK one more try with photos.

Comment

Very sorry to hear about this. I had the opportunity to take a ride on one a couple years ago at a charity car and air show for veterans, but I passed. Tickets were expensive and I also had a slight aversion to flying on a plane that old.

Comment

Hi,

location of the de-icing (white) building, in the South of the Bradley International Airport.

See You

Vince
              Attached Files

Comment

How sad. A major loss, all the way around - both in lives and history. After something like this, it makes me take pause. I've been on a few of the flights this group offered in the past - http://www.airpowersquadron.org, here at one of our local airfields - with the ride in the Mustang being the biggest thrill. Although limited to not much more than a couple hundred-miles-an-hour in speed, it was still quite exciting. Seeing something like this will certainly make me take better count of my decisions in the future . . .

Comment

Terrible news! I've flown in that aircraft twice and it was always a thrill. The Collings Foundation tours the country every year and I always looked forward to their stops here. What a shame... My heart goes out to those who lost their lives.

Chet
                  Zinc stinks!

Comment

Yes - a real tragedy all around.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Not much left of the aircraft (or its unlucky passengers).
                      Attached Files

Comment

Another photo.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yet another photo.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Damn! I hate to see this. My thoughts and prayers to those lost.

Comment

Old plane or new, you risk your life everytime you go in the air. Look at all the celebrities over the years who were killed in crashes. I watched Ken Burn's "The History of Country Music". So many Country stars were killed in plane crashes. Remember Ricky Nelson's converted C-47 that crashed after a fire broke out. When my father's plane went down during WWII at he was at least able to parachute off it.These folks on the B-17 didn't have a chance. May they all rest in peace.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X