hohenfels germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hohenfels germany

Hi everyone, one of my good friends is going to be stationed in hohenfels germany,just checking to see if there is any good places to visit that has military history that is close by ,I was thinking like museums, fortifications or battlefields. Anything you guys can think of would be great...

Thank you very much
    James

Hi,

first POIs should be

Tank Museum Munster,
    Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung Koblenz
    and if he has some time left the greart
    Oorlogsmuseum Overloon (directly behind the German/Dutch border)

Battlefields: Ardennes of course, with the great museums like Baugnez, La Gleize, Diekirch

Comment

It's Europe. Everything is close by.

I was stationed in Germany twice and highlights of what I did would be a staff ride the officers of my battalion conducted on the Battle of the Bulge and a trip I took to Normandy... ironically with a German buddy.

I did a lot of other traveling, but those would be two of the best excursions.

Comment

So, closer to Hohenfels ...

- Flossenbürg Concentration Camp site
        - Nazi Party Rally Grounds and Dokumentation Center museum in Nuremberg
        - Other museums in Nuremberg such as the Art Bunker and War Crimes Trials site
        - Burg Veldenstein castle that was owned by Goering

Advise your friend to visit www.thirdreichruins.com and search around for sites he might be interested in in Franken and Bavarian, or maybe further afield.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the help ,I will let him know your suggestions, if you think of any more just let me know..
          Thank you
          James

Comment

US soldiers still make its way to Germany.
            Wonder when some will move to Poland?

Originally posted by james s. View Post
            Hi everyone, one of my good friends is going to be stationed in hohenfels germany,just checking to see if there is any good places to visit that has military history that is close by ,I was thinking like museums, fortifications or battlefields. Anything you guys can think of would be great...

Thank you very much
            James

Comment

I was sent to Hohenfels for a 3 week training 'deployment' with the National Guard in 2016. Tell your buddy that the cantonment area is the former Wehrmacht huts built in 1938 I believe and then turned into a Stalag for British POWs and then turned into a displaced persons camp after the war.

Also, Lutzmanstein is a very fascinating non wartime village that was forcibly abandoned by the Germans when they made Hohenfels a training area and then the U.S. did as well in 1945. It is located 'in the box' on base.

Sam

Comment

Thank you sam, I'll till him tomorrow. I was stationed in Schweinfurt for 2 years and we went there twice a year for training but didn't get to look around much.

James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X