80 years ago today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wilhelm View Post
    Excellent! I'm glad you started this thread. I was thinking about it, great you did. This will keep us busy till September 2025. It will be huge!

Will need to get it pinned.
    Glad you appreciate the effort Wilhelm. Now if we can get others to post their items on the days as we go along this will really be a great Thread.

Regards!

Bob

Comment

in Erinnerung.

Uffz Hammer would perish along with 63 of his comrades at Radlow, Biskupice, and Wisloka on 7-8 September 1939. Polish accounts of their losses totaled 243 KIA (178 buried in Biskupice) - the German Army reported approximately 500 KIA.

"Franz Joseph Strauss (former soldier of Pz.Rgt.3) in his book "Friedens und kriegserlebnisse einer generation" writes about combats near Biskupice Radlowskie in 1939: "Poles with contempt of death defend the bridgehead Biskupice - Radlow. Their AT guns are hitting our tanks from the closest distance. Their soldiers are throwing hand grenades into openings of our tanks and are even jumping onto our tanks with bunches of grenades in their hands."" Source: Peter K - https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=105140

Here's a series of pictures of an 80-year remembrance event and reenactment that appears to have taken place on August 31st at Biskupice. http://www.kt24.pl/bitwa-o-most-w-bi...h-fotoreportaz
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Waffenreich; 09-08-2019, 12:35 AM.

Comment

My Father was 14 when the war started and lived about 12 kms from where the first Polish soldier was killed. He told me alot of stories from that timeframe.

I tried to find the grave when I was last there 2 years ago. Couldn't find it, but my focus was on other matters, such as the family cemetery and the positions of Festung Schneidemühl.

https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/5...Victim-WW2.htm
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks for the post Willi. It must have been an incredible time and place to grow up.

Here's pics and the description from the link: "The Polish Corporal Piotr Konieczka fell here on 1 September, 01:40AM (three hours before the attack on Westerplatte) as the first victim of World War 2."
          Attached Files

Comment

in Erinnerung.
            Attached Files

Comment

in Erinnerung.
              Attached Files

Comment

in Erinnerung.
                Attached Files

Comment

in Erinnerung.
                  Attached Files

Comment

in Erinnerung.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The Polish theatre seems to the forgotten part of the war. J

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                        The Polish theatre seems to the forgotten part of the war. J
                        I agree Jacques. It seems I'm the only one who has anything from the Polish campaign I have a couple of other pieces to post in the next couple of days and was really hoping others would show their 1939 pieces.

vr

Bob

Comment

in Erinnerung.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
                            I agree Jacques. It seems I'm the only one who has anything from the Polish campaign I have a couple of other pieces to post in the next couple of days and was really hoping others would show their 1939 pieces.

vr

Bob
                            Bob, how would you define 1939 items? Does any Polish or German pre-war militaria count? I’m sure items with direct ties to the Polish campaign are hard to find...

Comment

Sadly, if you ask, "when did WWII start?" many people will say December 7, 1941. Obviously correct but not the real start, history is not well taught.

Comment

Originally posted by sfk20 View Post
                                Bob, how would you define 1939 items? Does any Polish or German pre-war militaria count? I’m sure items with direct ties to the Polish campaign are hard to find...
                                Appreciate you coming on and asking the question and in some respects - yes pre-war is fine. That being said, I wouldn't expect to see a 1938 or 1939 dated Waffenrock posted as it would not have been worn during the campaign. However, I would hope to see them posted after the date the campaign ended as I'm sure there were plenty worn for garrison town victory parades, nights out with the ladies, etc. Anything related to units that fought in Poland would be appropriate and appreciated.

So to recap, for the purposes of this Thread I was hoping to see things dated 1939 or earlier that would/could have either been logically used during the campaign (equipment, tunics, headgear, etc.), or represent action in the campaign like Sterbes, photos, the 3-D book on the campaign, etc..

I have a few more pieces to post over the next few days and know with 100% certainty there are a lot of members here who have pieces that would support the theme of this Thread.

My intention is to keep this Thread going as I have set my collection up chronologically so it is easy for me to contribute pieces that are either directly linked to an 80th anniversary, or would be worn/used around that time. The period beginning 1 October will get pretty slow until the spring of next year when we get into Norway, the low countries, France etc.. I will post items that would have been worn during the "phoney war" to keep the Thread interesting.

Again, I ask anybody with anything related to the period of the Polish campaign to take a few minutes and share your pieces with us. 80 years is a pretty big milestone - let's not let it fade into obscurity.

Thanks

And Wilhelm, I agree. The teaching of real history has been sacrificed to advance more "popular" contemporary messages. A real shame!

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X