Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuremberg Decides to Conserve Nazi Rally Grounds

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...UyMTc1NDgwMwS2

Wow I'm shocked. I was stationed outside of there in 86-88. I have pictures and thought for sure the new politically correct government would destroy it. Thanks for sharing. TPK

Comment

Good news 👍🏻

Comment

About time.

Comment

Well, what will they "restore"? I'm sure they will not put the giant eagle and swaz back, and all they are left with is a crumbling grandstand and an open field.

Comment

I was at the zeppelin field 3 years ago and found it fascinating visit. I'm genuinely pleased that its going to be partially restored and remain a part of Nuremberg History.
            Troy

Comment

Exactly. The German government has been so paranoid about the NS era that they have wilfully destroyed monuments of major historical importance. The Berlin bunker is probably the best example of this. Imagine what a fantastic interactive display could have been made out of that.

Comment

The Zeppelin buildings was never build to last forever, the actually building construction was back so poor and cheap back done that I would not agree to spend 90 Million Euro for that building crap. And on the end it will cost as usually more. The people who would like to save it should bring the money together not the tax payer or maybe the US or UK as they bombed anyhow all away in Germany.
                Last edited by Robert H; 05-23-2019, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Good points and you are right Robert H. They can never restore it properly and what they will end up doing will be a waste of money.

Comment

Sometimes miracles happen.

Pierre

Comment

Awesome. Have been there 3 times now. Fantastic news!

Comment

I was there at night in 1980.

It was an eerie feeling; standing where history (good or bad) was made.
                        Same feeling at Omaha Beach, Ground Zero, the Alamo, the Coliseum in Rome or the Little Big Horn.

Comment

If
                          Originally posted by Robert H View Post
                          The Zeppelin buildings was never build to last forever, the actually building construction was back so poor and cheap back done that I would not agree to spend 90 Million Euro for that building crap. And on the end it will cost as usually more. The people who would like to save it should bring the money together not the tax payer or maybe the US or UK as they bombed anyhow all away in Germany.
                          You need not worry, Robert - as I am convinced that some day soon, that site will become Disney World for tourists. Especially as your Tax investment will one day have to be paid back. Who knows - not that much further in the future, you may even be taking your children there on Holiday. It's bound to happen eventually..
                          Last edited by N.C. Wyeth; 05-25-2019, 10:06 PM. Reason: Dachau, Auschwitz, Hitler's Bunker, the Obersalzburg . . .

Comment

Originally posted by sniper11 View Post
                            I was at the zeppelin field 3 years ago and found it fascinating visit. I'm genuinely pleased that its going to be partially restored and remain a part of Nuremberg History.
                            Troy

I was there in July 2016, got there early in the morning so I could immerse myself - it was awesome, somewhere I had always longed to visit.

Glad to see that it will be conserved, maybe they will now look at conserving other sites. I cannot see why they don't conserve more - I also visited Braunau, if it wasn't for the Fuhrer's house no bugger would visit or spend money there. The Obersalzburg area makes a fortune (and therefore tax revenue) out of NS tourism.

Comment

Ought to be careful about copying Disney World. They might end up with Himmler's Haunted Prison Camp, Adolf Hitler's Berghof Beer Garden, and Hermann Goring's Wild Airplane Ride.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X