Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Location of Halbe Forest Wardens Office

Friends,

I am looking to visit Halbe and one place I would like to find is the Halbe Forest Wardens Office. I was wondering if any member could tell me where exactly this is?

I've attached some photos of Halbe and where I think it is but I would appreciate confirmation or the correct location.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

I’m not sure of the where abouts of the wardens office, but the old train station, town, and military cemetery are very interesting. Another interesting thing is the information signs around the town showing the absolute carnage that went on there. A absolute hell on earth. Been twice now. Going to go back again. Johnno.

Comment

What is "Wardens Office"?

Comment

Originally posted by helmuthunter View Post
        I’m not sure of the where abouts of the wardens office, but the old train station, town, and military cemetery are very interesting. Another interesting thing is the information signs around the town showing the absolute carnage that went on there. A absolute hell on earth. Been twice now. Going to go back again. Johnno.
        Thanks Johnno. The train station and the level crossing are on my list to see.

I will look out for the information signs. Thanks for making me aware.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightwish View Post
          What is "Wardens Office"?
          Fortunately for me one of the books I am reading; The Panther Battalion Brandenburg 1945 by Wolfgang Ockert & Axel Urbanke is in German and English.

I think the German is "das forsthaus" Does that help?

Comment

Originally posted by IanC View Post

I think the German is "das forsthaus" Does that help?
            Yes, it does! Thanks!

I was completely on the wrong track...

Comment

About 18 months ago I followed the route of Zhukov's 1st Belorussian Front from the Vistula to across the Oder at Letschin (where the 1st T-34 to cross is a monument), through the Seelow Heights to the Halbe Pocket. Very interesting, yet very somber. To me that whole area just felt like death, especially from the Oder crossing point all the way through Halbe.

Makes you realize that the battles in the west were just sideshows.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Maybe this helps:

The department (Amt) Schenkenländchen is a bond of six municipalities in the area (Landkreis) Dahme-Spreewald. Halbe is located here, west Spreewald. Teupitz is the local center.

https://www.welt.de/geschichte/zweit...-Hoffnung.html
                Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 04-01-2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

The old Forsthaus in Halbe is at the Hammerscher Weg in Halbe. Very easy to Find, just open Googel, type the Postcode from Halbe, 15757, and then Hammerscher Weg and you can't miss it.
                  Attached Files
                  WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Perfect! Thanks to everyone for their contributions I really appreciate it.

I will update this thread after my visit.

Comment

Quick update. I visited Halbe recently and here are just a small selection of the trillions of photos taken.

As helmuthunter mentioned, I too found the many signs around the village and the open air exhibition at the cemetery very useful.

First up, is the Forest Wardens Office\das forsthaus the close up shows the wartime damage patched up.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Next are the railway station and a building adjacent which all still show the scars from the fighting.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The forest surrounding the village. Although not clear from the photo the numbers of craters is astounding.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The scale of what happened in and around Halbe hit me once I had got to the cemetery.

Even though I knew beforehand that there are the remains 24000 people here, seeing it for the first time took my breath away.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X