Russians want to build a Cathedral from melted down German trophies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russians want to build a Cathedral from melted down German trophies

Russian Ministry of Defense decided to build an enormous Cathedral and main steps to the Cathedral will be made from melted down captured German war material - guns, tanks, planes and such.
    https://www.rferl.org/a/giving-tanks.../29679918.html
    The linked video shows what kind of guns will be used for that - P08, P38, MG-34...boxes and boxes of them
    https://tvzvezda.ru/news/forces/cont...af.htm/player/

I speak hardly 5-6 words of Russian, so I cannot tell if the video is directly related to the Cathedral, but that would be a horrible waste.

Even if the Russian government disagrees, they'd raise a lot more money selling those weapons than the cost of materials saved by melting them down and using them for construction. But I think symbolism will trump practicality here.

Comment

Originally posted by TWS View Post
      I speak hardly 5-6 words of Russian, so I cannot tell if the video is directly related to the Cathedral, but that would be a horrible waste.

Even if the Russian government disagrees, they'd raise a lot more money selling those weapons than the cost of materials saved by melting them down and using them for construction. But I think symbolism will trump practicality here.
      The video is related directly to the construction of the Cathedral.

Comment

Wasteful idea.

With the value of German Militaria what it is, it would make more sense to sell the historic artifacts to build the Cathedral and more other remembrance sites in Russia.

Comment

From what I could see in this brief video these pistols haven't been messed up like the typical Russian capture examples. IMO: They would come out way ahead selling these on the collectors market.
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by james m View Post
            From what I could see in this brief video these pistols haven't been messed up like the typical Russian capture examples. IMO: They would come out way ahead selling these on the collectors market.
            Jim
            The guy in the video said that some of these guns were captured on the battlefield and some came straight from a storage in Germany after the war and have never been used. He also mentioned that many guns still have a factory grease on them and then he talks about date markings - 1937, 1938, 1940, 1942.

Comment

Wow what an enormous waste that would be....and the consequences; dumping thousands of these on the market could also bring down
              the value of others that have survived....

Comment

Considering the gun laws in Europe, not much of the potential market for them over there. With current relations between Russia and US, slim chances for any deal and importation. Even if imported those guns would be scarred with nasty import marks, which would make them inferior to our bring backs as collectibles.
                They should simply hold on to them, but since that decision is mostly political they very likely will be destroyed. And in 50 years they will be paying premiums to get such guns for their collections for their historical values.
                Recently Russia bought 30 T34 tanks from Laos. They made 50,000 of them and many survived the war. They scrapped most of them after the war and now shop overseas to get some back.

Jack

Comment

Some images...
                  Attached Files

Comment

More
                    Attached Files

Comment

The facility...
                      Attached Files

Comment

If they melted all this down it wouldn’t be very much in terms of actual construction raw materials.
                        What is the building again ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

With our Democrats in office importing them to the US will be a major hurdle.

Comment

Another brilliant Russian idea.Kind of like the sanitising of that mass murderer Stalin. Maybe they should do something useful and erect a memorial to the memory of the millions of their own citizens who were killed during the communist era.

Comment

Here’s a stupid church made from metal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X