Goebbels at Nuremberg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goebbels at Nuremberg

It goes without saying that, had Goebbels not whacked himself and family and survived for trial, that he would have been executed, due to his close association with Hitler and his fanatical advancement of Nazism.
    But what actual charges could have been pinned on him ?
    He had no military or SS association, as far as I'm aware, he gave no direct orders which resulted in atrocities.

They probably could have nailed him on count 1, which was: "Participation in a common plan or conspiracy for the accomplishment of a crime against peace", but other than that, and as distasteful as his advocacy for extremism was and may be, was he known to have taken any internationally illegal actions ?

I suppose the same can be said for Julius Streicher & maybe Ribbentrop.
    Streicher was a cheap, uncouth provocateur who even drove Nazis away with his stench, FAIK didn't order anyone shot and didn't have such authority.

Ribbentrop it can be argued advanced the Nazi cause in his official capacity as foreign minister, but he never was in on the inner circle and certainly was not complicit in planning mass atrocities.

Not meant at all to be an apologists thread, and its tough to judge the emotions and actions in the wake of the slaughter of WW2.

I know there was alot of folks, even contemporary, who think Yama****a was unjustly punished ,,, Never heard any similar expressions for any of the condemned at Nuremberg.

I agree with what you are saying but yeah, the victors write the historys and the charge of making war and their own prominence in the Party hierarchy would have been more than enough to send them to the gallows!
    Tim

Comment

Victors justice, sure.

I recall reading that the Russians wanted Hess dead, USA and England wanted to set him free.
      A compromise was reached, life in jail.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X