Visiting Budapest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visiting Budapest

Hi, I'm going to Budapest in July with my 17 year old son. I've already started a bit of WW2 related reading and research but just wondered if any forum members had been and had any recommendations of must see/do places?

There is a military museum on the Buda side...Castle mountain..

Comment

Of course the military museum, but also the Cittadella has a lot of guns shown outside, and a museum inside a big bunker used by the Wehrmacht in WW2 (although not that good).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadella

Comment

Hi!
        Welcome
        Yes, the Buda Castle good tip
        The Military Historical Museum very good. (1848-till now)
        Great presentations about the WWI and WWII
        But under the castle you can visit the bunker museum. Here you can see bunkers, dioramas about the siege of Budapest 1944-45. The last part of the tour is the cold war presentation.
        I think this is the best for you.
        The "Citadella" good tip too, here you can buy many copy badge in the souvenir shop
        I suggest to read the good book from Krisztián Ungváry : Battle for Budapest - 100 Days in World War II. If you walking you can see the places from this book, where started the bloody breakout...
        Many little places can be found, where was figh in 1944-45, but some of this not on the known tourist route
        On the every first saturday of month you can see the little military market, and every day you can visit the antique market on the road "Ecseri" but here you need good eye, and let's haggling (here they are offer to you fighting german division now) But we can find good bayos etc...
        If you have any question, please write to me, I live in this town

All the best from Budapest
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you all, gives me plenty to think about and read up on. Mark.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X