Overcoat Reproductions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overcoat Reproductions

I'm in the market for a Hooded Wachmantel or an M40 overcoat but I am encountering the same problems that a lot of smaller folks face - few places seem to stock my size.

Can anyone recommend a good maker of either model who provides sizes 36/38 US?

ZIB doesn't do PayPal and Schuster hasn't responded to my e-mails for about 3 weeks so now I am looking elsewhere.

Wouldn't say no to a well-priced original but those are hard to find under chest-size 100.

I'd say try Historybunker. They do tailor made items in about 2-8 weeks. Their site can be a bit messy sometimes but they have great service.

You could also go for Epicmilitaria, I think they have your size in stock.

Wehrmacht.es is also a great site, but they often have low stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Venturefan260 View Post
      I'd say try Historybunker. They do tailor made items in about 2-8 weeks. Their site can be a bit messy sometimes but they have great service.

You could also go for Epicmilitaria, I think they have your size in stock.

Wehrmacht.es is also a great site, but they often have low stock.
      Thanks!

Historybunker - what's their wool look like?
      I had initially dismissed them because of the site and stock photos, but now that you've recommended them I am curious.

Epic -Interested but not sold, haven't seen any photos of their product outside the website yet but I would like to.

Wehrmacht.es I had never heard of, so thak you I will check them out!

Comment

I'd say the wool's okay, it's definitely not the worst kind (Such as Hikishop or WW2Sale)

If you really want the best repro possible you should go to Extraklasse.co.uk, but their prices are skyhigh because the quality really beats everything else on the market.

Comment

If you really want the best repro possible you should go to Extraklasse.co.uk.
          I checked them out a while back but they only offer a generals mantel :/

Any idea how the tunic patterns from Wehrmacht.es hold up to ATF?
          Similar price point, so it merits comparing.

Comment

Haven't bought from ATF since I live in Europe and only order from Europe. Judging by the pictures though, I'd say Wehrmacht.es holds up pretty well.

Comment

Epic doesn't seem to have his size (in the M40 style)..

This might work:-

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/m40-ger...tec-product,87

N

Comment

Originally posted by Nachrichten View Post
                Epic doesn't seem to have his size (in the M40 style)..

This might work:-

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/m40-ger...tec-product,87

N
                There's another question! I know STURM makes size EU46 uniforms because it's listed on their website, though nobody ever seems to stock it. Any idea who might?

EPIC has two grades of M40. Their "Officer"/premium grade model looks (at least from the pictures) like a better wool and pattern than their regular model, but they don't have it in any size smaller than 40 right now.

They stock my size in these models, but having never seen anything outside the stock photos it's hard to gauge what fit and quality are like.

http://www.epicmilitaria.com/ww2-ger...greatcoat.html

I'm quite tempted because of the price and low cost of shipping from EPIC, I just want to know what I'm getting :P

Here's the "Premium" one
                http://www.epicmilitaria.com/m40-fie...greatcoat.html
                Last edited by Aldarith; 04-26-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

It all depends on how accurate you want to be and how much money you're willing to spend.

Generally speaking you won't be seeing too many differences with those great coats unless you're really looking for them with a close inspection. The cheaper one should be just great for re-enacting purposes.

Remember also that the shades of field gray are vast and nearly infinite, there was probably no one in Germany at the time who had all their uniform parts in the same shade of feldgrau.

Comment

The thing I'm very most concerned with is the warmth and fit of the coat.

With time I can fix almost all other problems, but if the wool and sewing job is bad then there's little I can do in my free time to correct it.

Comment

It should fit just fine if you've measured your chest size correctly. I think all the wool tunics I've owned from various companies have been equally thick, so there shouldn't be differences in terms of warmth. Remember that if you're gonna wear it over a tunic, you may need 1 size larger than usual.

Generally speaking it shouldn't matter if it's a tad bit too big if you're wearing belts, straps and all your gear over it, since those will definitely diminish any visual sign of the jacket being little too big.

Comment

It should fit just fine if you've measured your chest size correctly. I think all the wool tunics I've owned from various companies have been equally thick, so there shouldn't be differences in terms of warmth. Remember that if you're gonna wear it over a tunic, you may need 1 size larger than usual.

Generally speaking it shouldn't matter if it's a tad bit too big if you're wearing belts, straps and all your gear over it, since those will definitely diminish any visual sign of the jacket being little too big.
                        All good points! I've been asking companies how they size - be it real chest size or "Chest-size-over-tunic" and most size for tunic wear.

I'm just very used to ordering my size and getting something quite larger than imagined because I'm a slim fellow and most american sizes are.... not.

Since a lot of repro-gear is made with an American community in mind I get paranoid that the fit will reflect the greater movement towards larger sizes.

(Naturally this isn't a critique on the American community itself, just an observation on my struggle with the size system as it currently stands)

Thanks for responding so faithfully It's been helpful.

Comment

A friend of mine (whom I believe would be about your size) bought one of the Epic greatcoats as part of a uniform 'package'. If memory serves, it was the M40 pattern.

I remember inspecting it and being impressed by both it's quality and construction. Epic often stock 'Sturm' products. Was the greatcoat I saw from Sturm? I cannot recollect seeing any markings to indicate it was.

So the Epic example would probably "fit the bill", but they don't currently have your size in stock. If the SoF example is of the same provenance as the one my friend acquired, it would probably be what you want/need.

N

Comment

Did you check both the links I posted? Can I assume your friend got the more expensive model of the two?

Comment

Question about original sizes - Does anyone know if size stamps on the overcoats reflect the dimensions of the garment itself?
                              I'm assuming that they are the same as with tunics.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I need to have the coat fit over a size EU46 Tunic do I need a size EU48 coat? ( or are size EU46 overcoats sized to fit over EU46 tunics?)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X