Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for Normandy information: 59th Newfoundland Heavy Regiment, RA

Hi Guys,

Two of my relatives served in the 59th one as a Gunner Driver one as a junior NCO.

I am going to take another trip around Europe at some point and I'm looking to gather info before i do. According to:

https://drpaulwcollins.com/wp-conten...mandy-1944.pdf

The locations of 5th July, 6th July are noted by name and terrrain feature in the above:

The 59th Newfoundland Heavy Regiment was met shortly after landing in France by the regiment’s Second-in Command, Lt-Col. R.C.R. Forsyth, and the four battery commanders. They then moved to an area not far from St. Gabriel, a few kilometres inland, where they spent the night. All that night, they were subject to enemy shell fire, and many of the regiment were forced to take refuge under their trucks.8 On the morning of July 6, the 59th moved to a cornfield on the reverse slope of a hill out of view of the enemy, and started preparing their gun positions.9
    At 8:15 that night, July 6, exactly a month from the D-day attack, and only a day after landing, the 59th Newfoundland Heavy Regiment fired its guns in anger for the first time. Batteries 21 and 22 fired their 7.2-inch howitzers at enemy tank concentrations near the Caen-Bayeux Road. The eight guns of these two batteries were the heaviest pieces in Normandy at this time.

Can anyone reliably identify the likely locations of the Regiment in modern day based on personal info or official info?

Can anyone reliably identify (i have only heard second hand) the german unit targets of the 6th July and subsequent likely targets?

Best Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete, my grandfather was in the 166th , but I do have a map from the 59th that has some of the locations . I'll see if I can find it.

James

Comment

July5 st.Gabriel overnight assembly area
      July6 wooded valley near a small stream that flowed into the seulles river
      July6 first salvoes in France against German tanks near Coen-Bayeux road

Some of the town's that they moved through
      St.Gabriel, Norrey-en Bessin,Ste-honorine du Fay,Falaise,Tron,Le Sap,
      And ended up in Fontaine Heudebourg

Hope that helps some
      James

Comment

Thanks!

Sorry I have not been on here can you Pm me and send me a scan of the map?

Best Regards,

Pete

Comment

Hey Pete , if you pm me with your email address I can send you a picture of the map , I only have my cell phone so I'm unable to post pictures on here.

James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X