Save The Pillbox!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save The Pillbox!!!

A little local story of an elderly chap trying to save his local pillbox, this highlights the problem of trying to save historic structures from developers, sadly this is happening far to often lately with no regard by local authorities. This particular pillbox was part of the defences of the historic Filton Airfield on the Edge of Bristol, GB. Most of the other defences have already been destroyed. Ok it may not be the prettiest one ever, but that isn't the point.
    Anyway I found it quite interesting

http://www.stokegiffordjournal.co.uk...r-two-pillbox/

There is also a petition to try and save it.
    https://petitions.southglos.gov.uk/c...titionid=12234

So if anyone feels inclined to sign it please do

David

Hi David
    Thanks for the info have signed the petition

Robert

Comment

Signed it

Comment

Signed it,

Comment

i would happily sign it, but apparently

"You must live, work or study in the Council's area to sign an e-petition"

Comment

Um, well I live just outside the council area, but I was able to sign, I'd say have a go at signing, it wouldn't surprise me if the council were trying to stitch it up. Personally I think it is awful if the local council is saying saving history can only be decided on a local basis!!!
            The more people that can sign the petition the better or even the more people complain to the council the better..

Comment

You actually could MOVE the Box to your back yard if they destroy it.
              Its an option.
              Brick by brick.

Thats what I would do.

Or Contact someone like Bruce Crompton and get him to rescue it.

Its a shame this means nothing to the council.
              Its National history being smashed to bits.

Fight the fight.

owen

Comment

The Filton Airfield is now an Airbus site

It happened up here at the other Airbus site also. Most have been removed

Comment

Originally posted by David H View Post
                  it wouldn't surprise me if the council were trying to stitch it up. Personally I think it is awful if the local council is saying saving history can only be decided on a local basis!!!
                  Completely agree with you David. I have signed it anyway, there is a little drop down box where you can fill in whether you live, work or study in the area, but there is also a box marked "other" where you fill in your own reason... I have filled it out with "To preserve Britain's wartime history"

Thanks,
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by KLMKsunbunny View Post
                    i would happily sign it, but apparently

"You must live, work or study in the Council's area to sign an e-petition"
                    Be creative - I just googled the area and picked an address at random '40 Gipsy patch Lane' from zoopla and Hey Presto! Unless they can be arsed to check the Electoral Register I'm on!

Comment

The more the merrier signing up to it. I would ask if any members could forward the petition on to anyone who could possibly sign it, maybe some of the members in other countries could try to sign it aswell? that would give it an international flavour.

Comment

I signed it from Australia. I put my real address here but the post code wouldn't register with them so I used my old post code from England in the 70's: SO2 9LS. That worked.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X