Arco dei Fileni, Heldenfriedhof am Arco and “online archeology”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arco dei Fileni, Heldenfriedhof am Arco and “online archeology”

In 2012 I made a thread here on WAF dedicated to Arco dei Fileni in Libya (Afrikakorps). I chose to post the topic here as this is the right place and waf-members who visit this part of the forum might know answers or something of relevance.

I found three photos from `Heldenfriedhof am Arco`. One of them says: “1941. UNSEREN ERSTEN GEFALLENEN VOM DEUTSCHEN AFRIKA-KORPS 5.LE.DIV.MOT”. So the first fallen soldiers from DAK were buried at Heldenfriedhof am Arco.

But first: History of Arco dei Fileni (L'arco dei Fileni de Mussolini) - Italian Afrika medal
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=fileni

Ever since then I have wondered: Can any of these soldiers in the graves we have seen be identified!? The two graves with pith helmets are characteristic – there are many unique details. I made some close-ups but no names can be seen:
    Attached Files

As these were the first graves with fallen DAK soldiers I guess many travelling through the arch visited this grave yard, many photos must have been taken and today photos or even death cards must be in collections or sold online world wide.

The Afrika Korps formed on 11 January 1941. The German Armed Forces High Command had decided to send a "blocking force" to Libya to support the Italian army. The Italian army group had been routed by the British Commonwealth Western Desert Force in Operation Compass (9 December 1940 – 9 February 1941). The German blocking force, commanded by Rommel, at first consisted of a force based only on Panzer Regiment 5, which was put together from the second regiment of the 3rd Panzer Division. These elements were organized into the 5th Light Division when they arrived in Africa from 10 February – 12 March 1941. In late April and into May, the 5th Light Division was joined by elements of 15th Panzer Division, transferred from Italy. At this time, the Afrika Korps consisted of the two divisions, and was subordinated to the Italian chain of command in Africa. On 15 August 1941, the German 5th Light Division was redesignated 21st Panzer Division, the higher formation of which was still the Afrika Korps.

Here we can do some interesting WWW collectors “online archeology” – maybe we can find names to these graves with pith helmets seen on Heldenfriedhof am Arco?
    Attached Files

Comment

Not sure your info is correct. The first German loss was a Pz III that brewed up after running over an Italian anti-tank mine March 24, 1941 on the way to the front. Not sure where they are buried.

Interesting that there are no shields on the tropenhelms and several men buried so am thinking this is after the first attacks not prior. Also there are some Dutch/ German used piths in the graveyard which are from 15th Pz Div not the 5th Lt Div.

German propaganda is famous for spinning tales too

Comment

Very interesting to read Tim Maybe we 75 years later can solve this mystery - who were actually buried at Heldenfriedhof am Arco? Maybe even there are wehrpass in collections. I am sure photos revealing names exist?!? Then we might be one step closer to a solution.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by militaria.no; 11-18-2016, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Your photo is taken from behind, so it is normal for no name to be visible...

Comment

Hi Marius

Went back and did a quick look at Tom Genz's great work "Tank Combat in North Africa" and i was wrong. This cemetary does contain the first few German solders killed in Afrika March 24 1941 from the PZ III i mentioned, and it grew afterthat. The photo may be from mid '41, not early '41 as the shields were still with the helmets when they were buried. & the fact that at least one tropenhelm is not German made but Dutch instead indicates that solder was from the 15th Pz Div not 5th Lt Div, so killed later.

Will take a further look as am pretty sure the first DAK KIA are well documented somewhere ?

Heia Safari !
            Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
              Your photo is taken from behind, so it is normal for no name to be visible...
              AhAhh you are right Jean-Loup – I didn’t think about this! But now I see even the text on the memorial stone is on the other – the right – side.

It will be very interesting to see what Tim finds out
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X