No announcement yet.

In NATO tank competition, U.S. comes up short against Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"1941" leaves very little room for argument . . .

Originally posted by blinky View Post
    Battles on US soil where we got our "arses" kicked? Where was that?
    The penmanship is an obvious telltale of ignorance - and likely, this writer is implying the calamity at Pearl Harbor may have actually been a just fight - and one that was lost fairly. Little does this writer know, that Hawaii was not a part of US soil - at least until well after that Yellow Devil who laid to waste that harbor was brought to justice.

Quid pro quo for all you chest-beaters out there, I suppose - albeit for how embarrassing almost all of the comments here may be.

Comment

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume much of that post was influenced by alcohol.
      I'm not sure why the British are always so quick to remind us of Pearl Harbor yet seem to forget Singapore.

Comment

Wow, this has got to be one of the worst threads in all of WAF. What a disgrace and sad commentary. What is next, insulting each other's mothers? I thought we were a community sharing a passion for collecting. What a waste of my time for reading this stuff.
        When you go home
        Tell them for us and say
        For your tomorrow
        We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
        Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Originally posted by merdock View Post
          In 1982 we lost a piece of the empire, but due to the determination and {Im reluctant to say] a Great leader we through the Invaders back into the sea ,The US didn't back us they thought that the Islands belongs to the Argis, Reagan is rummerd to have sported us . we did not need anybody.
          Well, that isn't exactly true. Without the US and Chiles help, Britain would not have won the Falkland war. The US provided vital satellite intelligence and material i.e., fuel and the lastest and greatest sidewinder missiles. Lord Renwick, a senior diplomat in the British embassy in Washington, ask the US for 105 Sidewinder missiles. These were the very latest version, which were far more accurate than the earlier versions and the US delivered them to you Brits within 48 hours. That meant stripping part of the frontline US air force of those missiles and sending them to the British task force. Furthermore, with out the US refueling the British task force off the Ascension Islands via US tankers, the task force would have never made it to the Falklands... match over. And not to mention the US preparing to give Britain the use of the USS Iwo Jima in case one of the British carriers were sunk.

And then you have the "EXTREMELY" critical help from Chile. Chile provided early warning radar systems. This provided the task force early warning of air attacks coming out of Argentina and without it, the task force would have likely not fared that well. Plus, the Chileans pinned down the best Argentinean troops reserved for the potential conflict between them. The Argentine troops on the Falklands where not their best and maybe their worse troops. Sorta like the the Russian Siberian divisions held back to fight Japan before redeploying them against the Germans. The British Ministry of Defense and Margaret Thatcher had the opinion that the help received from Chile was absolutely crucial, “Without it, we would have lost the war.” Coupled with all this, you have the French pulling out of Argentina their technicians on the Exocet and one other advance missile system. From what I read, if they did not and decided to help the Argies use them properly, the carriers would have probably been sunk. It would have been ugly.

Lord Powell of Bayswater, Lady Thatcher's key foreign affairs adviser, said that Britain would have lost the war without such US and Chilean assistance.

So we do deserve a thanks here, don't you think?

Jim

Comment

I really like the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerbee View Post
              Well, that isn't exactly true. Without the US and Chiles help, Britain would not have won the Falkland war. The US provided vital satellite intelligence and material i.e., fuel and the lastest and greatest sidewinder missiles. Lord Renwick, a senior diplomat in the British embassy in Washington, ask the US for 105 Sidewinder missiles. These were the very latest version, which were far more accurate than the earlier versions and the US delivered them to you Brits within 48 hours. That meant stripping part of the frontline US air force of those missiles and sending them to the British task force. Furthermore, with out the US refueling the British task force off the Ascension Islands via US tankers, the task force would have never made it to the Falklands... match over. And not to mention the US preparing to give Britain the use of the USS Iwo Jima in case one of the British carriers were sunk.

And then you have the "EXTREMELY" critical help from Chile. Chile provided early warning radar systems. This provided the task force early warning of air attacks coming out of Argentina and without it, the task force would have likely not fared that well. Plus, the Chileans pinned down the best Argentinean troops reserved for the potential conflict between them. The Argentine troops on the Falklands where not their best and maybe their worse troops. Sorta like the the Russian Siberian divisions held back to fight Japan before redeploying them against the Germans. The British Ministry of Defense and Margaret Thatcher had the opinion that the help received from Chile was absolutely crucial, “Without it, we would have lost the war.” Coupled with all this, you have the French pulling out of Argentina their technicians on the Exocet and one other advance missile system. From what I read, if they did not and decided to help the Argies use them properly, the carriers would have probably been sunk. It would have been ugly.

Lord Powell of Bayswater, Lady Thatcher's key foreign affairs adviser, said that Britain would have lost the war without such US and Chilean assistance.

So we do deserve a thanks here, don't you think?

Jim
              A very big Thanks
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by merdock View Post
                Hi,
                Another point when was the last time the US fought a battle on US soil I think 1941 and you got your arses kicked big stile? the last time we The UK [i'll use the term uk from now on ] lost was in 1066 due to a pincer movement between the French and the Vikings,
                Harold could not fight a war North and South at the same time,
                Since then we have never given these Island up to anybody in 1939/40/41 we fought the invaders on our own helped by our colonies and other brave soles ,the US volunteers came to our help not through naturalistic en devour but through personal salvation.these Islands will never be given up ,
                In 1982 we lost a piece of the empire, but due to the determination and {Im reluctant to say] a Great leader we through the Invaders back into the sea ,The US didn't back us they thought that the Islands belongs to the Argis, Reagan is rummerd to have sported us . we did not need anybody.
                The Russian leader at the time is recorded as saying that if the uk will fight for a worthless piece of land what will they they do for the mainland.
                We have been a great nation for centuries and we will never back down.
                Please stop the the uk bashing.
                Mark
                Your spelling and grammar is atrocious!

"Reagan is rummerd to have sported us . we did not need anybody"

Try: Reagan was rumored to have supported us, but we did not need anyone's help.

And so it's perfectly fine to call the Argentinians "Argis" but not alright to call you a "Brit"? Tsk tsk double standards. How about Pom then?

So it goes, another thread in the bin.

Comment

Comment

A compelling but sad thread. That said, Churchill was able to sleep easy once he knew the US of A was involved, and thank goodness they were.
                    A proud Brit.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X