Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LW General visor cap (Janke)

I here,

As I am looking after a nice reproduction of Luftwaffe General visor cap, I am proposed this Janke copy. I think this is one of the best reproductions we can find on the market (and sold as reproductions!), even if the eagle looks seemed too high.

According to the pictures, can someone tell approximately when it was made?
    As Janke used to build its reproductions from some original parts in the early days, can the visor/garbadine/something else be WW2-period?
    Thanks
    Attached Files

This Janke is not the "new" generation of fakes, which feature a fold-over leather sweatband and gold or silver foil for the maker's name. I would guess, based upon the materials & sweatband type that this hat was made between 1999 and 2008 (which is the last time Janke used a Luftwaffe style visor with the correct criss-crossed green diamond pattern underside and sweatbands that weren't the fold-over type).

By the way, Janke ran out of original Luftwaffe visors in the 80s; the ones he used afterwards that did feature the correct green diamond underside were West German surplus that usually bore an extra set of stitching holes along one edge of the visor (usually the Left side when worn).

The green "stippled" underside of the visor at issue is a tale-tell sign that a Luftwaffe visor is a Janke product; they are not original nor are they the correct shape. IF the hat is cheap enough, buy it and replace the visor with an original, oil cloth-bounded edge & correct green diamond underside OR a very early West German Luft visor that lacks a bounded edging, BUT, is flat and bears a single stippled 'false edge' that was common on late war caps (& which were used for early BW visors).

There's your 'recipe' to make a Janke visor appear 100% historically accurate for a layman's display purposes!!!

BUT, don't be irresponsible or complacent and let it fall in the wrong hands, & certainly don't do anything stupid yourself b/c, given the value of an original Luftwaffe General's visor, you'd be looking at grand larceny/ felony theft/ etc. You'd either face jail time in a State Prision or a Federal one if you used the USPS (Secret Service arrests you) or if the item crosses State Lines (FBI).

Please notice this WARNING doesn't apply to you per se; rather, it is to educate EVERYONE on this Forum of their available Legal Remedies in a hypothetical situation should such a hat fall into their possession &/or to dissuade any knot-heads from engaging in such behavior!

All the best,

PG

Comment

Originally posted by Paris Gun View Post
      BUT, don't be irresponsible or complacent and let it fall in the wrong hands, & certainly don't do anything stupid yourself b/c, given the value of an original Luftwaffe General's visor, you'd be looking at grand larceny/ felony theft/ etc. You'd either face jail time in a State Prision or a Federal one if you used the USPS (Secret Service arrests you) or if the item crosses State Lines (FBI).

Please notice this WARNING doesn't apply to you per se; rather, it is to educate EVERYONE on this Forum of their available Legal Remedies in a hypothetical situation should such a hat fall into their possession &/or to dissuade any knot-heads from engaging in such behavior!

All the best,

PG
      You lost me there, PG.

What do you mean by this?

A very good looking repro, by the way. My only complaint is that the Luftwaffe eagle insignia is stitched a bit too high, too close to the tip of the crown.

Comment

Geez, what a psychotic digression.

Robt.

Comment

Basically hes saying the caps a janke from the 90s to the 2000s and that there are parts that don't look original compared to original eg the eagle and green visor. He then explains how to make a janke look even better on display by changing bits but warns you and everyone if you make a good fake and sell it as original its fraud
          But all you need to know is its not made of original luft parts as a janke but is good as a display piece

Comment

I knew what he was saying....it was unnecessary because there was no need to go there.

Robt.

Comment

Thank God for the Forum Gestapo RGD51; where would this Forum be without twits like yourself?!! "Psychotic"? What an 'internet tough guy' you are! I was merely trying to help a member, which I did via PMs and which he thanked me several times for taking the time to do so. All you could add to the thread was an ad homonym attack against my gracious efforts simply because I included a caveat so pissants like yourself wouldn't jump all over me about how I had helped "fakers" & "con artists"!

God you must be a miserable POS to be around with or in person; if you don't care to help or contribute to a topic, STFU!

Comment

Originally posted by Paris Gun View Post
                or if the item crosses State Lines (FBI).
                Never knew an FBI-agency existed in France... Or perhaps the Secret Service will hop on a plane to arrest the TS on the other side of the Atlantic

Comment

Indeed, I appreciated that Paris Gun took from his time to explain what I had not understand (I'm french, so excuse my poor english!)

By the way, here are more pictures of the cap.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Closeup of the wool.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Shouldn't this thread be in the reenactor forum? I never thought we would be analyzing the "accuracy" of a reproduction.....
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Maybe it should indeed
                        I myself didn't think it would be useful to have this type of discussion, but I changed my mind ^^

Comment

The close-up pics of the underside indicate I was wrong; it is not the entirely incorrect stippled version. Instead, it just might be an original peak/ visor!!! The twill wool also looks better too, so this is possibly a 1980s Janke-made hat. That said, the asking price is STILL too high IMO.

STONEMINT: Since there is a pinned thread on this cap forum about Janke hats, can't we make an exception just this once please?

JAN: Ok Buddy, you got me, as I didn't pay attention to Favos' location/country; rather, my advice was primarily meant for US citizen's consumption. BUT, both US Federal Agencies can arrest and extradite a person back to the US with the host country's permission, OR without (through arrest/ seizure or drone strike-WTH?!!!) IF, a BIG IF, the sale of a counterfeit Luft general's hat is meant as or proven to be a threat to US security through aiding or abetting Al Queda &/or other terrorist organizations. So, although you did catch my goof, I shall not yield!

Lastly, to anyone else I've upset or attacked directly, I apologize and should have been more aware &/or ignored such altogether. Peace out!

Comment

I just enlarged the 1st image and you can definitely see the extra set of stitch holes on the topside of the visor running parallel to the oilcloth edging; as I said in my initial post, these extra set of holes are on the left side of the visor when worn (right side when the hat is being viewed from the front).

So, even though the wool is rather nice, I can actually date this Janke to the early/mid 90s; it isn't an early 80s hat with an original wartime visor!

Thanks and take care gentlemen!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X