The last surviving German E Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last surviving German E Boat

Hi Guys, just came across this while surfing the 'net while looking for something else.

http://www.bmpt.org.uk/boats/S130/index1.htm

Cheers, Ade.

Excellent site Ade!

Bookmarked for a thorough read later.

I found the references to Anglo-German post war minesweeping operations very interesting. Will have to look for more info on this.

Cheers,
    David.
    At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Check www.prinzeugen.com There are actually two surviving boats, S-97 and S-130 both in the UK now. Previously the BMPT attempted to sell S-130 on eBay. Seems they have financial problems with the restoration, but there were no bidders.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the link it would appear that the other surviving boat went to the same venue in the UK but there is no mention of it now? I wonder were it has gone?

Hi David, glad you found it of interest. I have bookmarked it too.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I think I recall an S boat being sold on UK ebay not so long ago. It was £60,000 and needed restoration anybody remember?

Comment

Hi Tom, yes it was, "CollectRussia" mentioned it in his post

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

There's a U-Boat about a mile away from me, propped up on bricks down by the docks and I'm not joking!!

I think it is U-534?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts
                There's a U-Boat about a mile away from me, propped up on bricks down by the docks and I'm not joking!!

I think it is U-534?

Any Pics?

Cheers,
                David.
                At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Hello David,

There are a lot of pics on this website:
                  http://www.mikekemble.com/ww2/u534.html

It is near Wallasey but I'd say it rests in Birkenhead Docks!

Comment

If you scroll down the page there is an interesting bit on how it was recovered and it even shows some pics of of the goodies they found inside it!!

Comment

Hello,

There is at the moment only one Schnellboat in existence, S-130. S-97 was scrapped, she was only a hulk. S-130 was indeed for sale, but the owner has more or less given her to the BMPT. This organistation is now restoring her, which is of course a costly and time-consuming occupation. If anybody can help, be it with parts, equipment or donations, the BMPT will be happy to hear from you.

For a proper view; I am not part of the BMPT, but am helping them out as far as I can. I wrote the first article on S-130 which appears on prinzeugen.com.

Kind regards,

Thanks in advance,

Maurice Laarman

Comment

Thanks for the update Maurice. Sad that the other boat was too far gone to be saved.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts
                          Hello David,

There are a lot of pics on this website:
                          http://www.mikekemble.com/ww2/u534.html

It is near Wallasey but I'd say it rests in Birkenhead Docks!
                          Thanks Jack.

Another fine site to study. I can't get over the preservation of the items, boy would I like to have that dagger.

With all that material you'd think that they'd have better quality pics up there though, unless they are planning a book or something.

Cheers,
                          David.

Comment

Just a thought. We should all have contributed a couple of thousand on it when it was on ebay. Stored it somewhere dry and big enough. Written to Salvage Squad to restore it. Hey presto

Ahhhh if only.....

Comment

Originally posted by David C
                              Thanks Jack.

Another fine site to study. I can't get over the preservation of the items, boy would I like to have that dagger.

With all that material you'd think that they'd have better quality pics up there though, unless they are planning a book or something.

Cheers,
                              David.
                              Hi all,

If you haven't seen it, there's a great 2 part documentary on the National Geographic channel called Raising the U-534, which, as it says, covers the raising of the U-534!

It's a great program and even has interviews with a guy who was on her when she was sunk, and, if I remember correctly, a guy who was in the aircraft that sunk her!

I think there's a part in it where they board the 534 and find various things, including un-issued RK's!

Well worth a watch.

Here's a link with the schedule for the program: http://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/....asp?UniId=658

Mark.
                              Last edited by BoltThrower; 11-25-2004, 02:56 AM. Reason: Because my spelling is bad!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X