Why such wide stance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why such wide stance?

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I will anyway. I've noticed in pictures of funerals, honor guards etc that the typical stance is at attention with the feet much wider apart than one would expect. Is there anything to this? I suppose there's a joke about cajones in there somewhere. Frankly I think it looks ridiculous but that's just me.

I suppose it was part of the regulation for marching & parades. Such as "Parade Rest" "at Ease" etc. Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Biber View Post
      Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I will anyway. I've noticed in pictures of funerals, honor guards etc that the typical stance is at attention with the feet much wider apart than one would expect. Is there anything to this? I suppose there's a joke about cajones in there somewhere. Frankly I think it looks ridiculous but that's just me.
      I have not noticed that - I assume that you are talking about US servicemen?

For funerals etc British servicemen (even RAF) stand at attention - if your feet are apart you are 'at ease', you cannot be at 'attention' with your feet apart. Not in our Drill Manual anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
        I have not noticed that - I assume that you are talking about US servicemen?
        Nope. German. The most recent place I recall noticing it was in a thread about funeral pillows.

Comment

Originally posted by Biber View Post
          Nope. German. The most recent place I recall noticing it was in a thread about funeral pillows.
          German as in Third Reich or do they still do it? I notice that they stand to attention with their hands open down the side of their trousers which looks peculiar to me, maybe they just have different drill - I mean, look at the goosestep for Christs' sake!

Comment

Thats very good hadn't noticed that before check the Ailsby Collection for good photos.
            Jeez we talk about the strangest things.

Eric

Comment

Parade Rest, a modified position of attention.

-Ray-

* I believe you are referring to the illustrations below,,, right?
              Attached Files

Comment

From my research, it was a more formal version of a parade rest for a guard detail. You see the Reich Chancellery guards in this position with their rifles at a "slope arms" type of carry. Every time they needed to come to attention, they would snap the rifle up and the feet back together.

Here's a good video showing an LAH man on guard duty, you can see him bring his rifle up in the beginning, present, and go back to the wide stance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3nxFJ8-10

If you've ever stood with your rifle at attention, it quickly becomes tiring and your muscles start to hurt. It is easier to stand in this position for an extended period of time, while still having a formal appearance.
                Last edited by dixiedrummer; 02-11-2014, 05:17 PM.

Comment

The Germans had the "Goose Step" also. Every countries military have their own regulations for certain functions. Tom

Comment

Bundeswehr

Funeral of Konrad Adenauer.
                    Source: Bundesarchiv

This position makes it easier, to hold it for a longer time.
                    Regards
                    Christian
                    Attached Files

Comment

photo

Isn't this image reversed as the ribbons are over the opposite pocket among other details?

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                        Isn't this image reversed as the ribbons are over the opposite pocket among other details?

Yes it is - the belts are also 'back to front'. What is most interesting though is the use of old WW2 type helmets instead of the BW US style. Considering that they are all of General rank I'd thought there may have been a RKT in there.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                          Would love to see a close up of their ribbon bars. Symbolically they all look like Old Warriors.

-Ray-

Comment

Generals

I tried to find more about this Generals, but the only statement I found is that all 6 were awared with with RK during WWII. Based on the timeline, all of them were allready high rank officers pre-45.
                            Here is another picture, also Konrad Adenauer's funeral. This time navy.
                            Regards
                            Christian
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
                              I tried to find more about this Generals, but the only statement I found is that all 6 were awared with with RK during WWII. Christian
                              Which begs the question:

Why are they not wearing it? They have all their other medals on (albeit only ribbons which I find odd), maybe the RK is on the ribbon bar?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X