Off to Hungary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off to Hungary

I just received the good news that I'm off to Budapest in two weeks. This is my first time in the city and I haven't yet picked up a tour book. Can anyone recommend sites in the area of a military interest? Of course, the Citadel and Castle are at the top of my list, but I'd like to hear from some members about other sites.

Also, any information on local beer and wine is always welcome. Especially by my wife who may not appreciate touring a rainy battlefield with me.

Lastly, I will have a few days of spare time and I am working on a small project. The "Then and Now" type of photographic comparisons have always intrigued me and I have taken a number throughout Austria and Bavaria, i.e. Floridsdorfer Bridge in '45 and '04 for example. If any forum member wants to send an identifiable pic of Budapest during the war, I will endeavor to take a similar pic for comparison and post it here for what may be an interesting post. Credit will be given to the owner of the picture and you can either post it here or email it to me. I'll try to incorporate a few Danube hotties in the pics as well.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
    mjc@westmorelandresearch.org

Hello.

(Military) Army Museum in Budapest. Not big, exshibitions about ww1, paratropers, Hungarian troops on east front. Some artilery close to the building. (Nice skoda 105mm)
    Eger - castle on the top of the hill, possible to visit underground part. Quite nice. Wine is 2 times more expensive in the caste area than in town. (famous "Egribikaver).

mietek

Comment

Hungary

Hungary is a really nice country to visit! I've been to Budapest two years in a row now. Its avery beautiful and pleasent town with lots of culture!

The citadel on the Buda hills is of course a must! There is also a nice synagoghue close to the centre. I wanted very much to go to the very famous fleamarkets of Budapest. However, after having visited two of the best ones, I came to the conclusion that the days of nice cheap finds of nazi-militaria are gone. All I saw was cheap fakes on the tables and some, infrequent originals, but with a full price. Still its of course fun to visit! And you can but some cheap communist stuff! I spoke to one older lady who explained that she knows exactly whom to phone to get the right price when some nice original militaria comes to the surface.

Try the Dreher beer and go for the famous hungarian coffee and a small glass of Tokaji and strudel att Vaci utah. Thats the main pedestrian street in BP. My favourite red wine is the ones from Villany.

And... Dont forget to visit the thermal baths!! Youre as new afterwards!!

Im going to explore Hungary better myself when it comes to battlefields. Infact, there were som actions just outside of BP in 1945 by several famous SS-divisions.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!

Stay close to your wife because those Hungaraian babes are drop dead sexy

/Felix

Comment

Mietek and Felix,

Just the type of info I was hoping for. Thanks very much. I have been receiving quite a bit of feedback from friends and colleagues and each has nothing but good things to say about the city, and better things to say about the women.

Thanks again,

Mike
        Anybody have any period pics of BP?

Comment

Hi Mike, I have never been to the city, but my friend and fellow forum member Sal Williams visited there earlier this year. He posted some pics in his mega thread about his European tour. They will be somewhere towards the end of the thread Good luck!

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=47565

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Well in the town of Biscke there is a memoriall for the "Wiking" division and I Btn / 23 PZ GR "Norge"

Comment

Ade & Jens,

Thanks for the info. I howled with laughter at Sal's posts. Jens, I'll try to get time for a pic of the memorial.

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X