Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name that plane

All,
    This drawing is from Operation Sealion, dated 1941 on the reverse by my Opa. Can anyone identify what they are shooting at?

Hi, very hard to tell from the drawing. I would guess that it might be a Bristol Blenheim?

http://www.warbirdalley.com/blenheim.htm

I base my answer upon the date of the drawing and that these aircraft were used an raids against the German invasion build up.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Considering that it is an artist's rendition of a twin engined bomber type aircarft, it could be almost any one you want it to be. To me it looks like it could either be an A-20 Boston or even a Mosquito with the long engine nacelles depicted.

Comment

Darryl,
        I agree that as it is an artists rendering it could be a variety of aircraft. But I tend to stay away from the Mosquito as the cockpit should be a bit farther back of the engines. At any rate it is interesting to think of an 88 battery on the rough channel trying to hit anything!
        Marc

Comment

Plane

Hi Guys

Hmmm hard to tell but..........

I would be going for a Wellington myself

HTH

MMM

Comment

I agree with Darryl. I think the artist intentionally left the aircraft somewhat criptic. The point here is that they are shooting at it. Now, if a pilot had drawn the picture from the cockpit point of view, the cabin of the aircraft would be depicted down to even the manifold pressures (HZ). being indicated correctly and the ships being attacked would be more criptic. It's a really good illustration though. Brings a certian maquabre gloom to the action of combat.

Adrian's got a potentially good sillouette ID there

Comment

What am I?

I don't think it's meant to be a specific type. It does however look remarkably similar to an aircraft (which) at the time of the illustration was secret. Our mystery a/c didn't enter service (albeit in very limited numbers) until two years later. It's an obscure marque, and I'm not going to tell you what it is, although Marcus will probably get it!
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks a lot like the Westland Whirlwind.

Comment

would the sea water not wreck the flak88s on that barrage? did they have those kind of barrges during the war? as for the plane id say bleimin of how about the beaufort???

Comment

I am actually writing an article on this for "Military Advisor." These were opeartional for Sea Lion, but in 1942 almost all were transferred to the Med.

Originally posted by paddywhack
                    would the sea water not wreck the flak88s on that barrage? did they have those kind of barrges during the war? as for the plane id say bleimin of how about the beaufort???

Comment

It is just some generic recon plane. I doubt the artist ever intended for it to be identified as a specific make and model. He had to give the gunners something to shoot at..

Speaking of that..are these guys Coastal Artillery or some type of KM antiaircraft unit? Seaborne Luft flak?

Neat picture though!

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

This is a Luftwaffe Flak unit. The Luftwaffe spearheaded the development of the landing craft for the invasion of England. Go figure!

Originally posted by Mark Schroeder
                        It is just some generic recon plane. I doubt the artist ever intended for it to be identified as a specific make and model. He had to give the gunners something to shoot at..

Speaking of that..are these guys Coastal Artillery or some type of KM antiaircraft unit? Seaborne Luft flak?

Neat picture though!

Comment

you wouldnt have any pics of them would you cos id love to see what they looked like in real life!! though i can bet that actuly firing them when the sea was rough would be pretty crappy and not the most fun place to be!!!

Comment

I have a TON of pictures. Check this link for one, and read the article when it comes out!
                            Marc

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=48999

Originally posted by paddywhack
                            you wouldnt have any pics of them would you cos id love to see what they looked like in real life!! though i can bet that actuly firing them when the sea was rough would be pretty crappy and not the most fun place to be!!!

Comment

just did!! very intresting!!! were any of them sunk cos id think that if the royal navy found out about them they would probably have a shot at them? or were they close to shore all the time? great thread by the by!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X