IJN Yamato v. ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IJN Yamato v. ???

Hi guys, watched a show IJN Yamato . Can i ask if it was battleship v battleship in 1945 ( no subs, no planes, just ship v ship) who would have had the firepower to stop?
    thats 1945 era, what happened to her sister sister?
    Last edited by TMurray; 10-22-2010, 05:26 AM.

The Musashi was sunk in October 1944 during the Battle of Leyte Gulf by aircraft (she took almost 20 torpedos and almost as many bombs to sink her). The third ship of the class was the Shinano which was converted to an aircraft carrier during construction. She was sunk by a US submarine November 29, 1944 right after being commissioned.

Who would have had the fire power to stop her? Probably no one. The US Iowa class would probably have the best chance one on one with a bit of an advantage on fire control. Japanese naval gunnery though in my opinion has been seriously under rated by many and despite the disadvantage she would have in radar controlled gunnery it would have been compensated for by other factors. I think by 1945 their radar for gunnery control would have been good enough to pick up an American battleship at range. Plus, you had the ship's aircraft to guide gunnery so more than anything it would turn into a slugfest pretty quickly and the last one able to control damage and maintain fire would be (in my opinion) the Yamato

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X