Large German cemeteries ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large German cemeteries ?

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where there are a some large German WW2 cemeteries and where there located, some pics would be great too, I imagine with the large number of German soldiers lost these would be quite big.

I've been to loads of Commonwealth & US cemeteries in France & Belgium while some of these contain sections for fallen German soldiers they do not really reflect the numbers who fell in WW2 and mostly they are for WW1 casualties.

There is an interesting cemetery in Waldenburg Germany. It is about 25 miles from Rothenberg aub der Tauber. I passed it on a snowy day in March, my son mentioned that he had seen several granite markers in the shape of Iron Crosses. I pulled over, and we walked back thru the snow. It is a small graveyard within the confines of the walled in hilltop city. There were about 30-50 grave markers in a section cordoned off. The military section of the cemetery. As we walked thru, with snow falling, I realized that everyone of the markers indicated those buried there had died on the same day. April 16(?), 1945. Very confused by the fact that all had died on the same day. When I got home, I did an on line search, and found that the 25th Panzer Regiment was headquartered in the area. It had been assigned to the eastern front, and then fought in retreat to a port city in northern German. From there, they were evacuated with a large number of civilians by sea, only to be torpedoed by the Russians. All aboard the ship died. I am not sure if the bodies were recovered and buried, or that these were just markers indicating those from the area who were lost at sea. During the course of our two week visit, we stopped at a number of local cemeteries to look at the markers. To me, it seems as though a great number of the fallen were returned to their home-towns to be buried. I am not sure that there are cemeteries such as you would find in the U. S, Great Britain and those that are found in and around Normandy.

Comment

Cemetary Ysselsteyn in the Netherlands with more than 31.000 German graves.

Comment

Two more in Greece, the German cemetary of Dionysos-Rapentosa, founded on September 28, 1975, where 68 WW1 and 9.905 WW2 soldiers lie, reburied there after their exhumations in several places of the country and of course the Maleme cemetary in Crete, with 4.465 buried soldiers.

Regards, Giorgos

Comment

One of the better known ones is the German cemetary at La Cambe, NW of Bayeux on the N13 highway. It's the largest German cemetary in the Normandy battlefield area and is very nicely laid out. It occupies the location of the first major US cemetary for those who fell in Normandy, before their remains were moved to their current, permanent location at St. Laurent sur Mer.

Comment

The biggest German cemetary in West-Europe for WWII (outside Germany), is in Belgium at Lommel.
            Here rest over 38.000 german soldiers.

Comment

No idea about the size, but this tells you who's buried where http://www.xs4all.nl/~ejnoomen/wwgrave.html

Comment

Look through the German War Graves commisions own site

if you dont read German, just use a browser like google chrome with it's built in webpage translator.

I guess you knew of the German cemetery in Victoria?

http://www.volksbund.de/kgs/stadt.asp?stadt=2063
                Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by tracman View Post
                  One of the better known ones is the German cemetary at La Cambe, NW of Bayeux on the N13 highway. It's the largest German cemetary in the Normandy battlefield area and is very nicely laid out. It occupies the location of the first major US cemetary for those who fell in Normandy, before their remains were moved to their current, permanent location at St. Laurent sur Mer.
                  I was in Normandy in June this year and here are a couple pictures of La Cambe.
                  Attached Files

Comment

thanks for the photos, may they Rest In Peace

Comment

lommel in belgium is impressive!

Comment

Orglandes , Normandy

Hello,

The German war cemetery of Orglandes, Normandy where 10 152 german soldiers rest is a place to visit. I was there in September.
                        One of the famous graves is that of the Lieutenant-General Wilhelm Falley.

Kind regards.

F.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and pics.
                          I'll certainly take a closer look at some of the cemeteries.

Comment

Here are a couple of more pics from La Cambe cemetry in France.

Lacambe1.jpg

Lacambe2.jpg

Comment

Michael Wittmann's grave site at La Cambe........

Lacambe3.jpg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X