Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local News

This was in the morning paper ---

(yes, I know, he is wearing an NCO's parade tunic and he is holding P--38)

First Person: War tales shared are never lost

<!-- begin creation date -->Saturday, August 21, 2010 07:23 AM
    <!-- end creation date -->

The Columbus Dispatch

<!-- aligning image and caption-->
    <!-- /freeform -->
    <!-- /ptr -->First Person is a weekly forum for personal musings and reflections from readers.

Only an impostor could smile in the uniform of a World War II German officer.

A 1945 photograph depicts my future husband doing just that.

After I married Sidney in 1979, I found the picture one day and confronted him about it.

As it turned out, he had good reason to smile.

Here's the explanation, as he told me: ... I was 19 when I found myself hovering in a ditch somewhere in Belgium - a U.S. Army soldier, a private first class, surrounded by gunfire. Many soldiers, both German and American, were already dead on the ground. Everyone else was running for his life.

Our troops were close to invading Germany from all directions along the borders, with my group approaching from the north under heavy artillery fire.

The front-line infantry soldiers had to make quick life-or-death decisions.

I jumped into a nearby ditch, landing next to a dead German officer. Soon I realized that, if I ripped off the officer's uniform, took his pistol (a Luger in a black leather case) and saber, and put his uniform over mine, I had nothing to lose.

As I lay in the ditch with the uniform on, I watched my squadron advancing more quickly than I expected. So I jumped up from the ditch, tore off the outer jacket and threw the German helmet to the ground.

"Don't shoot!" I yelled to my countrymen at the top of my lungs. "I am one of yours!"

The retreating Germans responded with crossfire, but, by the next morning, the American troops had already advanced to the German city of Aachen, with reinforcements following them.
    I kept the German uniform and had the photo taken shortly after we defeated Germany.

I smiled because I was young and alive. I had survived.

His story is one of many untold scenarios dating from that period of history.

In 1945, the last German defense was carried out by old civilians and young German males, when the first U.S. troops crossed the Rhine River under Gen. George S. Patton into Cologne - where I lived then.

German soldiers had long since retreated, been killed or been taken prisoner by Americans.

Many years later, I met Sidney in Philadelphia - long after my postwar marriage had ended.

In 2000, I lost my brave husband to Parkinson's disease.

His testimony is one of many reflecting how World War II became the history lesson of our time.

Had the impostor not disguised himself in a quick decision, the story behind the story would never have been told.

Ingrid Silvian, 80, of Groveport is doing her part to archive such wartime stories for future generations.
    <!-- /body --><!-- Story (end) -->

<!--/td-->
    Attached Files

Impressive story!
    Thnx for posting

Comment

A german officer taking his sword into battle? Right.......
      pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by crowback View Post
        the story behind the story would never have been told.
        hmm... yeah

Comment

I´m sorry.. but 2 side arms and a parade uniform into a battle?
          I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
          Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
          My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

A typical "I took it from a dead officer" BS story.

Comment

Doing up all those buttons, in a ditch, under heavy gunfire, not getting any mud on the uniform etc etc......wonderful

Of course it was his wife who found the photo, he is hardly likely going to tell her he swapped the stuff for a load of cigarettes 5 miles behind the front line.

Comment

Fraudster

Good work gentlemen !!! You have exposed this 80 year old widow fraudster who has embellished her late husbands war record. No doubt she is a publicity seeker attempting to cash in on her dead husbands fictional war record. He was most likely a no account malingerer who never left the states. Shall I obtain her address and phone number so you can all tell her personally how you feel ?

Comment

What is your point? The story is clearly a fantasy. How are we supposed to react?
                  And I have met a faire number of elderly publicity seekers, and even a few downright liars.

JL

Comment

Me to, even know an elderly liar that says that he was in the Dutch SS.
                    His lies to people about his time in the SS aint even thát bad, i just look the other side.
                    But he also sells some typical fake items to very young collectors, ofcourse with a big nice juicy story attached to it..
                    Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Admiraal View Post
                      Me to, even know an elderly liar that says that he was in the Dutch SS.
                      His lies to people about his time in the SS aint even thát bad, i just look the other side.
                      But he also sells some typical fake items to very young collectors, ofcourse with a big nice juicy story attached to it..
                      Does he attend to any shows like the one in Duiven?

Comment

In the early 1960s there was an old WW1 veteran that was a relative by marriage who I used to ask about what he did in the war. Once he told me that he shot the spiked helmet off of a German soldier and the German soldier turned out to be Adolf Hitler. As a 10 year old, I was quite impressed but in later years the story started to crumble as I studied the war more. i.e. Hitler's unit never fought against American troops, spiked helmets for front line troops were pretty well phased out by the time America entered the war, Hitler was a runner and probably didn't spend much time peering over a front line trench, etc etc.
                        It sure was an interesting story at the time though...

Comment

One of the most believable war stories that I ever heard was a really short one my great uncle told me. In the mid-1970's we were visiting him at his home in Georgia and I saw a K98 rifle hanging on the wall in his living room. I asked him where he got it and he told me “from a German soldier during WW II”. I asked what the German soldier was doing when he took the rifle from him and my uncle said that the German soldier was "picking daisies".

I was too young at the time and probably pictured a German soldier running around in a field full of daisies while my great uncle secured his abandoned rifle. It was a few years later when I realized what my great uncle meant by “picking daises”. That is all I ever heard him say about the war.

The photo above is a nice one of a GI with a few souvenirs, but it certainly does not match the story that accompanies it. I say leave the old folks alone, if they want to believe in fantasy in the last days of their lives then let them. If they are trying to sell their fantasy story – then avoid it and just go the other way.

Only my two Pfennigs.

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by JanSSNederland View Post
                            Does he attend to any shows like the one in Duiven?
                            No idea, never go to that show.
                            But i see him on historical events.
                            For example he was at the Panther tank photoshoot in Breda and the event in Achtmaal.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X