Small photo quiz (some FJ content)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small photo quiz (some FJ content)!

So, just about where is this modern photo taken?
    OK, one hint (apart from the FJ info in the title); it is of course Normandy, but where......?
    Attached Files

Thats a recreation of the foto of Von der Heydte conferring to some offizers from the 17th-SS "Götz von Berlichingen".

Comment

Gran Sasso is correct so far.
      The staged photo is taken at the location where the commander of the 17.SS-Pz.Gren.Div. "GvB", SS-Brigfhr. Werner Ostendorff, together with the XO of SS-Pz.Aufkl.Abt.17, SS-Ustuf. Fred Papas, met up with the commander of 6.Fj.Rgt, major Friedrich August Freiherr von der Heydte in the late afternoon on 11 June 1944, soon after Carentan was left.

Anyone for the non-prize winning question on the location?
      Attached Files

Comment

Love the idea but miss the uniforms

Comment

North of Perrier I would guess. I don't know the exact road crossing though.

Comment

Hello,

Is it between Saint-Côme-du-Mont and Carentan ?

Comment

Hi,
              Almost there, especially mr geyer72.

Gary, -Yes, but you'll need to be more precise than that. By 11 June most of the pictures featuring v.d .Heydte would be "north of Perrier". He was quite busy in that area at the time ;-)
              florian_geyer72, -Not quite, but close

OK, I think I have given ample time for any qualified guess.

The exact location is in fact by the road bank (beside todays road "D223")by the farm Donville, about 1 km west Carentan. They arranged a rendez-vouz upon v.d.Heydtes return from the St Come du Mont battle area and Ostendorffs arrival with the forward elements of "GvB".The forward command post of 6.Fj.Rgt. was, by then, located a further 1 km west in the small village of Cantepie.

For map references please study the excellent IGN "Blue series" 1:25 000 no. 1312O in grid X625 Y5461 (hope I got that right!). As any serious student of the Normandy campaign, this map collection is a definite must have. You can't really be without it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X