MilitaryStockholm

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honor our vets by having a donut today!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honor our vets by having a donut today!!!

Today, 4 June 2010 is "NATIONAL DONUT DAY!!! and per some articles, many Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts locations are offering free donuts. Yum...

National Donut Day has been celebrated every year since 1938, all began with a women who served donuts to soliders in World War I.

Additional Info per Wiki... "National Doughnut Day started in 1938 as a fund raiser for the Chicago Salvation Army. Their goal was to help the needy during the Great Depression, and to honor the Salvation Army "Lassies" of World War I, who served doughnuts to soldiers.

Soon after the US entrance into World War I in 1917, the Salvation Army sent a fact-finding mission to France. The mission concluded that "huts" that could serve baked goods, provide writing supplies and stamps, and provide a clothes-mending service, would serve the needs of US enlisted men. Six staff members per hut should include four female volunteers who could "mother" the boys.

(The canteens/social centres that were established by the Salvation Army in the United States near army training centers were called "huts".)

About 250 Salvation Army volunteers went to France. Because of the difficulties of providing freshly-baked goods from huts established in abandoned buildings near to the front lines, two Salvation Army volunteers (Ensign Margaret Sheldon and Adjutant Helen Purviance) came up with the idea of providing doughnuts. These are reported to have been an "instant hit", and "soon many soldiers were visiting Salvation Army huts". Margaret Sheldon wrote of one busy day "Today I made 22 pies, 300 doughnuts, 700 cups of coffee."

A legend has spread that the provision of doughnuts to US enlisted men in World War I is the origin of the term doughboy to describe US infantry, but the term was in use as early as the Mexican-American War of 1846-47.

To this day it is still a fund raiser run by The Salvation Army. The history of National Donut Day, its origin in the United States and its start in Chicago, IL can all be viewed at this website. National Donut Day. "
    Attached Files

i bet the law enforcement of america were queing round the block

Comment

Cops and donuts? Is that a myth or any truth to it? I know the local shop in the town I grew up at offered cops free donuts. The theory was cops going in and out at odd hours kept the robbers away.

Right now I live in a area of some 55 thousand population and we don't have a single shop dedicated to donuts. There are some bakeries and grocery stores that fill the gap but I miss real donuts. The only real donuts in my area is at the hospital cafeteria. Somehow they make world class maple bars.

W.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X