protest: the Nuts Cellars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protest: the Nuts Cellars!

This morning, I received an emerging email, concerning the "Nuts" baracks in Bastogne.
    Mr. Martin King, who has sent the email, agreed that his message was placed on several forums.

"Dear friends,
    I think that you should all know about this. Belgian Defense Minister, Mr. Pieter De Crem has given instructions to destroy the "Heinz Barracks" in Bastogne and replace it with a prison complex. It was in this very "Cellar" at what is presently a Belgian Military Barracks that Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe had the Headquarters of the 101st Airborne Division. It is in this "Cellar" that the General wrote the world famous reply "NUTS" to the German ultimatum to surrender on December 22, 1944. This place ubiquitously known as the "Nuts Cellar" is a historical marker maintained and cared for by grateful Belgian Army soldiers. I hope you will be willing to help the Mayor of Bastogne and all the grateful Belgian patriots save this historical site. We need all the assistance we can muster to fight back and make ensure the preservation this very special Memorial. Virtually every item in the cellar is exactly as it was left in 1945. It is the site that played host to one of the most famous events of the Battle of the Bulge and it deserves to be maintained as a place of homage and historical significance for future generations. If you know anyone who can help prevent the destruction of this historical monument please please send your note of support to :

Christian W. de Marcken
    244 Richards Avenue
    Paxton, MA. 01612-1121

who will collect all your letters and send them as soon as possible to the Mayor of
    Bastogne, Belgium.

Thank you for your support.

Best regards Martin King"

You want to support this action? Please write a letter to the person, metioned above. You can also write an email to mr. de Crem himself:
    pieter.de.crem@skynet.be
    Let's avoid that this historical place is being destroyed.
    You can also sign a petition on the internet: http://lapetition.be/en-ligne/petition-5318.html

Thanks!

I have been to Bastogne and I hope this is not true !...What is going on in the head of that Defense minister...is he insane ??, that is a historical building and part of WWII history !!, also a draw card for tourist to have the opportunity to visit, learn and educate themselves about these times and events that occured in the winter of 44/45 in the Ardennes.

Im sure they could find another area to build a prison complex, lots of areas outside of Bastogne.

Alot of people/historians/US Goverment institutes and veterens !! ,will be extremely dissapointed if this goes ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by FMS-Paul View Post
      I have been to Bastogne and I hope this is not true !...What is going on in the head of that Defense minister...is he insane ??, that is a historical building and part of WWII history !!, also a draw card for tourist to have the opportunity to visit, learn and educate themselves about these times and events that occured in the winter of 44/45 in the Ardennes.

Im sure they could find another area to build a prison complex, lots of areas outside of Bastogne.

Alot of people/historians/US Goverment institutes and veterens !! ,will be extremely dissapointed if this goes ahead.
      Just sign the petition and stop minister de Crem! http://lapetition.be/en-ligne/petition-5318.html

Comment

Just signed it! Hope it works!!

Comment

Just signed it !! Bob.

Comment

signed it

Just signed it.
            hope they care what foreigners think.

Comment

idiotic Liberal ideas

Destroy any trace of heroic military events....Just my opinion

Comment

I forwarded it to as many people as I thought would sign it.

Comment

I signed it too..... Just a thought... What if the General never said the words and actually surrendered wonder if this DM would be around to do this?

Just a Thought

Joe

Comment

I signed it. Bastogne is one the my favorite places of WWII

Comment

Belgium Plans to Close Battle of the Bulge Barracks
                      Belgium is planning to close 23 barracks by 2011, including the famed Battle of the Bulge HQ.
                      The response from American war veterans? Classic Battle of the Bulge reply: NUTS!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So anybody know? Did the petition help? Just wondering!
                      What's the outcome of this? It is now 2011

Comment

Just signed it! fingers crossed

Comment

Signed

Comment

Hi,

the cellar is saved for several months now....

It became the center of interpretation of the Second World War.

Regards

Phil.
                            Last edited by ardennes1944; 05-01-2011, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X