Sad loss: Arnhem Vet John Edgar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad loss: Arnhem Vet John Edgar

Hi Guys, I have just had some sad news. A Veteran friend of mine has just passed away. His name was John Edgar.

John served with the XXI Indep Para Coy and fought at Arnhem as a Private in No.2 Platoon.

John was born in Manchester in April 1922. He joined up in October 1940 and served with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He served in the Med and then joined the unit in January 1944 as a trained Parachutist. After Arnhem he served as a Lance Clp in Norway and Palestine and was Batman to Capt Spivey in Company HQ. He was also Coy Bugler.

I first met John at the XXI reunion about 10 years ago. John never missed a reunion. He was always known as "Little John", as he was not a tall man. John was always a regular in the bar and was always proud to be the "last man standing" at the end of the night! Which was always a late night! He will be greatly missed by his old comrades and friends.

He is a photo of John taken in 1945 and another which I took in May this year. John was rightly very proud of his service in the XXI.

RIP John.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Sad news Ade. I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend and also for the passing of another veteran.

Comment

R.I.P very sad

Comment

Very sad. May this old fighter rest in peace.

Comment

May he be sharing one of many beers with his comrades in Valhalla.
            When you go home
            Tell them for us and say
            For your tomorrow
            We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
            Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Veteran

R.I.P. John i will have pint for you in Arnhem.

Comment

A real shame especially only a couple of weeks before the 65th. RIP indeed for this 'Leading the Way' Soldier.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X