Peenemünde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peenemünde

I will be visiting Usedom very shortly and I thought I'd take a look at the Peenemünde site. I know there is a museum at the old power plant near the lower west dock, but I was wondering if any of the launch/test sites are accessible. It was a security restricted area a few years ago and I was wondering if it had become more accessible recently. Has anyone visited who might have up-to-date information on places to go and what to look for please? I am already armed with issue 74 of After the Battle, but this was published nearly 20 years ago.
    Thanks,
    Max.

Google Peenemünde and you'll find a site with heaps of pics some guys took when they snuck in to restricted area. A bit to see but not that much, looks they had no trouble getting in

Comment

Originally posted by Jägermarty View Post
      Google Peenemünde and you'll find a site with heaps of pics some guys took when they snuck in to restricted area. A bit to see but not that much, looks they had no trouble getting in
      Thanks; I had already used Google search and saw those. What I'd like to know is what is open to the public and what is closed.
      Anyone else?
      Max.

Comment

Information Sought

Why don't you contact the museum there and find out?

Charles Betz

Comment

Max, I was there about 8 or so years ago, not exactly sure. At that time, I believe the entire area had just opened up, so to speak. Nothing was restricted at all. Certainly not the lauch sites. We went right up to and all over them. Very neat. Granted, not much to see at the launch sites, but very historical and neat! I loved my visit there. Hope you do as well.

Comment

Many thanks Douglas; that's what I was looking for.
            Max.

Comment

Probably Iyou know this site already but:
              http://www.v2rakete.de/00000091ff134...c08/index.html
              the famos "Prüfstand XII" is still restrited area and just opened as a guided tour as part of the permanent exibition.

Comment

Thank you, I was not aware of this site. Very informative. How do I get on a guided tour I wonder?
                The museum at Peenemünde have told me that...."The test stands are in a closed area and can´t be found by private visitors."
                Max.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X