U534 in England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U534 in England

U534 was commissioned on 23rd December 1942. Type IXC/40 long range submarine, she was sunk off the coast of Denmark, on 5th May 1945, by RAF Coastal Command. It was rumoured that she was carrying a Nazi leader or gold and diamonds to support the Nazis who had already escaped....She was raised from the sea bed on 23rd August 1993 and is now on public display in Birkenhead docks (near Liverpool for those of you who are not familiar with the geography of England). No gold or diamonds were found....

She can now be visited by all (a one hour guided tour will cost you 8 Pounds Sterling). She is still in great condition for her age. The conning tower has been rebuilt but the rest has been left as it was when she was raised, a sort of "time capsule".

I was lucky to be able to visit her last week and what a great experience that was. I recommend it to all of you if you are in the area.
    Attached Files

Hi Terry
    Do you have any more photos? I would love to see them or is there an internet link to photos?

Originally posted by TerryG
    U534 was commissioned on 23rd December 1942. Type IXC/40 long range submarine, she was sunk off the coast of Denmark, on 5th May 1945, by RAF Coastal Command. It was rumoured that she was carrying a Nazi leader or gold and diamonds to support the Nazis who had already escaped....She was raised from the sea bed on 23rd August 1993 and is now on public display in Birkenhead docks (near Liverpool for those of you who are not familiar with the geography of England). No gold or diamonds were found....

She can now be visited by all (a one hour guided tour will cost you 8 Pounds Sterling). She is still in great condition for her age. The conning tower has been rebuilt but the rest has been left as it was when she was raised, a sort of "time capsule".

I was lucky to be able to visit her last week and what a great experience that was. I recommend it to all of you if you are in the area.

Comment

U534

I am mad that I did not have my camera with me (I was in the area on business). There is a website www.warships.freeserve.co.uk featured on the leaflet I picked up but I have not checked it out yet.

Comment

Working on u534

Originally posted by TerryG
        I am mad that I did not have my camera with me (I was in the area on business). There is a website www.warships.freeserve.co.uk featured on the leaflet I picked up but I have not checked it out yet.
        Hi guys
        You have picked up on a subject close to my heart , when U534 first came to the UK I spray painted a special coating on her outer hull ,it is clear like oil , this was to prevent the rust washing everywere when it rained and to protect the hull from further corrosion , during this time I had a good look about as it was out of bounds to the public I can only think of one word to discribe having a good crawl through a u boat newly resurfaced after 60 years under the sea as "Horny"
        At the time I took some quite good photos I will hunt them out and post a few.

Sean W

Comment

U Boat Picture

Originally posted by sean weber
          Hi guys
          You have picked up on a subject close to my heart , when U534 first came to the UK I spray painted a special coating on her outer hull ,it is clear like oil , this was to prevent the rust washing everywere when it rained and to protect the hull from further corrosion , during this time I had a good look about as it was out of bounds to the public I can only think of one word to discribe having a good crawl through a u boat newly resurfaced after 60 years under the sea as "Horny"

Sean W
          Here is a picture of U534 ,it reminds me of the opening sequence of Das Boot
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sean weber
            Hi guys

Sean W
            Horny ? more like eerie? Is there any other U-Boats in the UK, fully preserved?

Comment

Hi Paul, our living history group are planning to visit this U Boat sometime in the winter as a Unit trip.
              Have you seen this website? Here is a link to preserved U Boats still in exsistance:

http://www.uboat.net/fates/today.htm

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Here is a nice link to U534

http://www.mikekemble.com/ww2/u534.html

Greetings Ostmark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X