Special forces in Viet Nam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special forces in Viet Nam?

I wanted to ask you guys if you know anything about a small and special unit in late war Viet Nam who's members wore a Blue Beret?

From what I got from one of the guys at work who told me he was in this unit, he told me it was a mixed nationality unit made of Americans and South Koreans. They wore Blue Berets but not in the field. There was only 69 members in this unit and they did some of the things special forces and McVsog might do combat wise.

He told me I'd not find anything on the net about it and I did not while searching. His records are classified and I've known him for years before he'd tell me this as he said long ago I'd never believe him anyway.

Just wondering if you know anything about a blue beret unit in Nam?

Special Forces Question

Just ask him the name of the unit. By the way; it's MACV-SOG.

Charles Betz

Comment

Vietnam

Hi,
      I found this about the bue beret in the vietnam war

US NAVY Mobile riverine Force Mekong delta.
      US NAVY PBR 593rd River division.
      us rangers.
      ARVN SF TAY ninh Province PRU.
      ARVN Special forces C-3 MSFC

All the best
      Maarten

Comment

Originally posted by boersma View Post
        Hi,
        I found this about the bue beret in the vietnam war

US NAVY Mobile riverine Force Mekong delta.
        US NAVY PBR 593rd River division.
        us rangers.
        ARVN SF TAY ninh Province PRU.
        ARVN Special forces C-3 MSFC

All the best
        Maarten
        Why would rangers wear a blue beret in Nam? Since my co worker was Army he could have only been in the ranger unit above if limited to only those choices.

Was there a special unit created from rangers and South Koreans? Where can I find out more info on Rangers and the blue beret?

W.

Comment

"Secret Unit"

If your friend is not willing to divulge the unit he was assigned to, then why don't you just request his military records from St. Louis? You'll need his full name, rank, and the time (the years, not the amount; but the general chronological years) he served in the army. It's really not that difficult if this is important to you.

Charles Betz

Comment

The ole "Secret Unit" story. If he tells you he will have to cut off your head and put it in the safe.

I've run into many guys over the years that claimed to be SF or other elite force member. It is an easy to pick thier stories apart if they are not true. Just ask him about his training, when, where, what type etc...
            rarely can a fraudster keep his story straight.

If he was in a secret unit, ie on classified missions he really shouldn't be telling you this.
            pseudo-expert

Comment

A few Naval units wore blue berets and a couple of USAF Para Rescue units wore them also. As far as a Army unit, it would more of a novelty piece then a required piece of headgear, if it is blue.
              "Militaria shows are a social event for anti-social people"--A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

Comment

The blue berets are for USAF Para Rescue units.
                My father and my step father are both Vietnam Green Berets. I grew up in with vets coming over to house all the time.
                The only navy personel I can remember coming to the house as a kid were "River Rats". I was given one black beret from one of them after he had taken a liking to me.
                I ve never heard anything like "I cant tell you because........ I would have to kill you". Ive never heard of any of the vets as a kid or even years later say that excuse for not telling you what they did in Vietnam.
                I think those folks are using public knowledge that it is a close knit community (SF) and we NEVEREVER talk to people that dont need to know our business.
                Here are couple of examples from 1969-1975 that I remember.
                You see I never asked questions of the SF guys because I overheard more by keeping mouth shut and just listening to them to talk to one another. You know pickup bits and peices of info and try to put it together what was going on.
                I overheard a G Beret recently back from the war talking to another guy in a public place talking about this and that and another beret walk up to him and say "You know you are not suppose to be talking about that". The older guy walked off and the other younger beret shut up.
                I overheard one time a discussion among 3 berets and my father in the living room relaxing over a beer late one night. "We have to sign something saying we cant speak to anyone about what we have been involved in, but a General can write a book about what we F@******Kin did".
                I was suppose to be in bed, but hey I knew these guys were special even at 8 years old.
                The story about the guy not talking because hes not allowed to Bla bla does have some truth to it. But as suggested he can speak to training, times in service, etc.. and you maybe can put together something from there.
                I ve lived in this community for 37 years and you get a feeling when they arent going to tell you something.
                I recently spoke to a 79 year old man who was from the core group who was instrumental in forming the Green Berets back in the early sixties. We ran into one another and awhile back I asked what have you been up to lately. He kinds smiles and said well.... I said your still working. He said yes. Thats where it end. I probed no more. You just nodded your head and move on to another topic.
                Talk at you later
                George

Sorry guys to get off topic fellas.

Comment

Usaf

Distinctive recognition came to PARARESCUEMEN in early 1966. General John P. McConnell, then Air Force Chief of Staff, approved the wearing of the maroon beret. The beret symbolizes the blood sacrificed by PARARESCUEMEN and their devotion to duty by aiding others in distress. To PARARESCUEMEN living up to their motto, "That Others May Live", is a daily reality.

Comment

Blue Beret

1966 - Special Order G-42, July 18,1966, activated the 1041st Security Strike Force Squadron (Test) commanded by Lt Col William Wise and gave birth to Operation Safe Side. This unit was Ranger trained to provide an aggressive role in air base defense. Later they were renamed the 1041st Security Police Squadron (Test). <!--"''"-->

1966 - Light blue beret with falcon emblem authorized for use for combat security police assigned to 1041st SPS(T), visible recognition of our role as a special purpose unit. This is were the current Flash is derived from .

1967 - 1041st SPS(T) arrived at Phu Cat AB, Vietnam.

1967 - On 4 July 1967 the 1041st was airlifted from Phu Cat to its temporary bed down site at Fairchild AFB, Washington. On 21 January 1968 the 1041st was placed under the operational management of the Tactical Air Command (TAC).

When the 1041st arrived at Fairchild AFB, WA they were soon redesignated the 4470th Combat Security Police Sq. That designation did not last for very long and they were then sent back to Schofield Barracks as Detachment 1, 82nd Combat Security Police Wing
                    <!--"''"-->

Orginal issue Safeside Beret <!--"''"-->

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=300 background=/imagelib/sitebuilder/layout/spacer.gif></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle background=/imagelib/sitebuilder/layout/spacer.gif>
                    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

A green beret is a crappy little hat worn by members of the US Army Special Forces.

I was around the 3rd mobile quite a bit and never saw any blue berets.
                      Their strikers wore tigers and helmets or jungle hats. As did the SF advisors.
                      C3 was HQ for 3 corps SF. 3rd Mobile Strike Force was 3 corps Mike Force.

Most all VN classified stuff is long declassified.I do know that some names of indigenous intel assets are kept dark.

This guy sounds full of it, but who knows. Wierd goings on in the last days.
                      How does he know about 5th group or SOG activities to compare to?

I believe SF was finished in RVN in '72.

I can check some of this with a SF board I belong to.
                      MLP

Comment

Quote A green beret is a crappy little hat worn by members of the US Army Special Forces.

Mike, I know you can say that because your from group. but.... If I were standing next to you I would to take a couple steps back from you.
                        Mmmm... No forget that I would take a lot of steps back.
                        George

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP View Post
                          A green beret is a crappy little hat worn by members of the US Army Special Forces.

Most all VN classified stuff is long declassified.I do know that some names of indigenous intel assets are kept dark.

My pal at work is not telling me much I am probing on occasion. I asked his if he was in a unit that wore a Beret. I asked was it black, green or mooroon. He said it was blue. (that was a new one to me) I asked if he was in Louse and Cambodia and he said the unit went "everywhere".
                          Past conversations he told me about the Koreans he worked with but not that he was in a mixed unit till last conversation.
                          I don't think he's full of it he was at least a Vet in Nam no doubt about it. He said it took him 20 years to get a VA loan because the army did not want to furnish the documentation he needed. When they finally did it was sanitized. He was in trouble with the law long ago and the DA tried to get his military records. The Army I was told basically told the DA it was not going to happen. So I doubt I will get them.

Some of you mis understand my intention here. I am not trying to out a fraud, I believe my co worker. I am just interested in his history. He could tell me more but digging is fun. Comprende?

William

Comment

Originally posted by MikeP View Post

Please do check around. As for comparison he was not comparing. I did that based on some of the stories he told me. Some of thier missions were started on navy patrol boats. Once or twice he was in a remote base camp that almost got over run Etc.

Possible this is a reason for working with the Koreans, he told me the enemy when they got one would tell the Koreans anything they wanted to know.

W.

Comment

William
                              This guy sounds interesting. In last 36 years the one thing I ve come across is nothing is written in stone when it comes to what SF guys were invloved with in Vietnam. As the war progressed into the later years it seems that the formula could be much different than earlier years.
                              The later years when the G Berets "officially" left Vietnam and the period between 71-73 become really strange.
                              My only guess is this guy might have been part of serving as a advisor to a ???? Korean/Vietnamese/? late war special op unit? Who knows?
                              One question I might ask him is " When did you leave Vietnam for the US"? Did you fly into San Fransico? I ask questions I already know the answer to if I know it might lead to more information. If you have a time frame when he was in country that might help lead you in the right direction.
                              Good Luck
                              George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X