Germans Moving Tactically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germans Moving Tactically

In many original WWII German photographs and newsreels, I see often, infantrymen running a certain way. They are hunched over, but with heads level, and their K98 in one hand, held just in front of the trigger guard.

My question is this: Were they taught to sprint like this in Basic training? I've never seen anyone but the Wehrmacht run like that. I adopted this strange maneuver in my reenacting, but am still curious why they would all run in a way that prevents them from firing?

Hope someone knows, or can tell me where to look,

Thanks,
    Lars

I'd like to know as well. However, the simple answer may be the unique balance of the K98 that permits it to be carried quite easily with one hand. Try it with a garand or other weapon. Not as easily done. Also, try running with something in one hand versus carrying it in stride in both hands. You'll find you are faster with the item in one hand. Frankly, they probably weren't worried so much about shooting when they were running, probably more about getting their arse shot off. So, the quicker across the open ground, the better.

Comment

Thats my current working theory too. Watching the footage I see of them running that way, it looks like they tend to be dashing across roads, or for cover, as opposed to assaulting, wherein they sensibly hold the rifle with both hands.

Hopefully, someone out there knows for sure where this started.

Lars

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X