Just for the thrill of it?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for the thrill of it?!?!

What do you guys (re-enactors) get out of re-enacting? I've always wanted to give it a try and am especially fond of the Fallschirmjaegers, and even have one in my area but do not know if I would like it. Please explain what is so enjoying about it? What is the best branch of the service to re-enact (SS, Heer, Luftwaffe, Feldgendarmerie etc.)? It looks like fun!

Thanks!
    Rolf

For me, and I do FJ, it is the comradeship of being around like-minded individuals. Most of the guys I am around in the hobby are ex-military types, have an interest in the history of WWII, enjoy the company of WWII veterans, enjoy educating younger generations about WWII (and that most German soldiers were normal people doing their duty) and think re-enacting honors the sacrifices of veterans of all nations. Certainly there are flakes in the hobby, and we do our best to thin them out. Many in the hobby enjoy doing everything possible to make their impression as authentic as possible, down to the food they eat and the identification they carry.

Willi
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Rolf, I think Willi's reply covers pretty much what I would have said too.
      As regards to which branch of service (or nationality) is best to re-enact, that is down to you? Choose one which you have the most interest in. Checkout websites and go to some events as a member of the public.
      Some groups will allow a prospective member to come along to an event to see how they like it and how they get along with others before joining proper. Kit can sometimes be loaned.
      I have been doing this hobby since 1979 and I have met many interesting Vets and made friends around the world. Give it a try!
      Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement Willi and Adrian!

I have long been interested in giving it a try and if it is as much fun as you say it is I may just have to give it a try! There are two local groups one is a Fallschirmjaeger and the other is an SS group, but have been advised to steer clear of a lot of the SS units because of "wacky politics"...

Comment

I do Heer, and its definetly a blast to spend a weekend with a bunch of other people who all share the same interest, and drunken singing on friday nights are always a good laugh. The only two things not mentioned so far that I find to be quite enjoyable are these:

1. First-hand experience with the actual equipment used gives you a MUCH greater appreciation for what these guys had to go through. Especially the russians... poor bastards. Nothin worse than a glass canteen.

and
          2. There are a few rare moments, often just before, or after a "battle" when I'm standing off by myself somewhere adjusting my gear or searching my breadbag for something un-squashed to eat, and I look up and see, for example, a column of tired GI's coming out of the treeline...and for the faintest glimmer of a second it seems real. You can step outside yourself for that brief time and really feel the past come to life. Then someone farts or something and you all laugh, and continue reenacting, but no museum, no book, no movie has ever been able to do that for me. I dont know if im the only one who's felt that, but I hope not, because it makes all the farbs in the world worth putting up with.

Lars
          www.11thpanzer.com

Comment

Lars - I don't think you're the only one whose felt that - I felt it at the first event I went to when I was borrowing 80% of my gear - from that point on I was hooked! I feel it most at the tactical battles when you are completely submersed into the battle and surroundings.

I think the general sentiments have been posted...its about being around like-minded individuals, sharing stories & information, and attempting to recreate and understand a fading part of modern history. There is no question as to what has been said here - you feel a lot closer to the books you read after reenacting a battle!

I started out in an SS unit prior to joining the FJ unit I'm in now. The SS unit was pretty strict about keeping politics out of the unit --- the one difference I noticed first was that for the most part, all FJ reenactors are very committed to their portrayal - maybe its the cost? maybe its the character of FJ's? Regardless, it is very enjoyable!

Go for it! You'll really enjoy yourself!

Mike
            If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

Hello Lars,

how did your website take the photos that you use for the gallery under reenactment photos? Is it old film and an old camera or is there something that can be purchased to do that? I really love it!

Comment

Rolf...

Thanks, that was actually one of the main reasons I contacted the 11th for membership in the first place

I will ask what the specific process is, but I do know that our resident Propaganda Kompanie member uses a period german camera (I want to say the brande name is centax? something like that)with modern film, B&W and Color both, and then uses photoshop to age them a bit. The photoshopping gives the color the correct tint, but the real texture of the pictures comes, I think, mostly from using a 61 year old camera. That pic of the Kavalleriemann especially has a really accurate look. Tim (the guy who takes all of the pics) says that with the old camera its about a 70/30 chance of getting a good exposure, so he takes 2 or 3 shots of everything ::

I'll email you when I know what Photoshop tools he uses.

Lars

Comment

What do you guys get out of re-enacting?

What do you guys (re-enactors) get out of re-enacting? I've always wanted to give it a try and am especially fond of the Fallschirmjaegers, and even have one in my area but do not know if I would like it. Please explain what is so enjoying about it?
                  Rolf - My first love is the Great War namely anything about Flanders. I have visited the Ypres Salient and surrounding battlefields and I try to read alot of books and articles on the subject.

Reenacting offers me a small chance of experiencing the little things that books and battlefield tours can not explain. It is my way of "being there." No book or battlefield tour can explain the smell of spent powder or how a MG08 sounds after firing 100 rounds. Or the sight of a flare going up while you are on patrol in no-man's land.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X