How does your unit handle Weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does your unit handle Weapons?

After reading Brian M's post of his duties as unit armorer, I started wondering how the various units out there handle individual and unit weapons? I know it really depends on 1) where you live and 2) the types of people in your unit...but with the variety of WW2 weapons, laws, units and individuals there's bound to be trouble/friction, fascination, safety issues, etc..

In the units I belong to, an individual is given some brief guidelines - get a K98 then worry about the rest! As both units stradle state lines with different gun laws, there is some variety offered - but then there are other concerns there. Fortunately we have several law enforcement officials in our ranks that can help us figure things out With the FJ unit being relatively new, we are strong on the basics of P-38's and K-98's, but lacking on squad weapons. As for the SS unit, it is getting pretty heavy with autos..

then there are flare guns and at weapons too!
    If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

We are weapon heavy. Two MGs, 4 MP40s, 3 G43s, 2 grenade launchers.... The list goes on. We've only got 15 on paper, but you'd swear there were 30.

Comment

For me and my FJ KG, it is tactics, tactics tactics.....especially the use of weapons. No gas guns as they truly spoil it with endless bursts of full auto "terminator style" shooting. The FJs usually carried more SMGs than most squads, but still used the MG as it was intended. A squad supported weapon, that was the key in defense and offense, with the riflemen doing the supporting of the MG. Sometimes I pull the MG from the squad and place it to support the assault of the 2 squads, or form a defensive strongpoint. The squad leaders can use flare guns to direct/signal....and I use one as an indirect fire type weapon. As Brian will testify, to me it is all about fire discipline and control. It makes it more realistic and enjoyable, and prevents those mindless and endless volleys of fire from happening. The squad helps carry MG ammo which makes it all the more realistic.

Willi
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi is entirely correct. you can have all the glory weapons you want, but tactics make the difference! we go into the field to portray the German elite soldier.
        leadership is everything, and Willi really fits the role. maneuvering, tactics, skill. we out think and outmaneuver the enemy and constantly outclass opposing forces of superior strength. how? battlefield tactics and proper use of our forces. running to the fight is stupidity. its only result is madness and mayhem. to set up properly and fire on directed command from a skilled battlefield leader is essential for tactical victory.
        you may not get as much "trigger time" as some units, but it is more "realistic" and more rewarding, to do things the "right way".
        FIG was a prime example of that.

Comment

I agree whole heartedly guys - tactics and implementation of them are what win battles. I believe that most of our opposing allied forces suffer from what I like to call "public battle overconfidence" The battle in which both sides really work hard to outsmart (as opposed to outshoot) the enemy and use their squads & specialties effeciently, have been the most enjoyable days spent in the field - despite the weather

Willi - do you have/could you post the flare designation chart? I have it somewhere but can't locate it. I have only recently found a supplier of mulitple flare colors and would like to use them correctly.
          If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X