Cost of Getting Into the Hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of Getting Into the Hobby

Rich Gordon brought up an interesting item in another thread about the prohibitive cost of some unit requirements. I thought that this would be a good jump off point for us to discuss the various costs of getting into the hobby. The hobby has really progressed since I first got into it back about 7 years ago. Even then converted uniforms were not the norm, but still found on several reenactors. Today, especially among the German reenactors, almost all uniform items are either reproduction or restoration. From the tip of the boots to the brim of the helmet.

I remember when I got into the hobby back in 1997. I accidentally found a site that showed WW2 reenacting and thought to myself, "I didn't know that existed". So, I hunted further, found a group in my area and was off to get my kit together.

I got ahold of CNS (what is today At the Front since CNS was the abbreviation for the politically incorrect name of "Cool Nazi Shyte") and spoke with the owner. I told him what I was wanting to do and he sent me a complete starter kit (including basic field gear and a uniform) via UPS that next day, COD!!! I paid for it with a personal check even. Total cost of the kit: $876. The thing that I remember today is that I got some great original field gear in the kit. That was when the field gear was cheap and it was fairly easy to come by.

Still needed a helmet. Found an original Heer SD M35 on ebay with a great liner and chinstrap. That set me back $150. Rifle, another $150. And, finally East German jackboots (I shudder to think about them today) - $20. I was now ready for my first event having shelled out close to $1200. This was done not even knowing whether I'd like the hobby or not!

I continued refining my impression over the next year and plopped another $1500 into it. That's not including the G43 that I bought and the thousands of miles I traveled to get to events. Hell, I even flew to two events.

But, basically, back in 1997, you could get a good Heer impression together for around $1200. Today, I am not sure of all of the numbers. But, looking over at At the Front's site, it would look like you can still put together the kit that I purchased in 1997 for $876 for $800 now. Not bad, but most of the field gear is now cheap, Chinese reproduction instead of original.

There are still no good boots on the market at a decent price. And, the price of a helmet, even a restored one, is more than double what I paid for my original back in 1997.

It's not a cheap hobby. And, this is the basic German impression. If someone could expound on some of the allied impression costs and also on the cost of doing FJer and WSS (both, I know, are more expensive), it may give some interested in doing it an idea of what to expect.

well spent $$$

My major complaint with reenacting recruiters is that the first thing (typically) they tell an interested person is the high cost of the hobby. Yes, it should be disclosed, but it isn't a necessity for a person testing the waters to shell out $500 plus to see if they like it.

I started out in my SS unit borrowing a lot of gear and making do until I knew I wanted in and then gradually built up my kit....and I don't think this is too unusual. Yes, my uniform started out 50% conversion, but is now 100% full repro or original. When I heard about the FJ unit forming, I slowly started accumulating gear, piece by piece as it is an impression of considerable cost. Now I am too the point where I am just filling in the day to day, smaller, items.

Ebay has been an interesting market to watch - as reenactors get dragged away from the hobby or their involvement fades, there have been some great repro uniform pieces available at great savings. I have picked up a few items here and there to have on hand as spares.

But as with any impression, one has has to limit one's imagination! Having 4 seasons of equipment plus 3 backup weapons is not a necessity for a first year guy!

I too am having trouble with boots - regardless of the impression - not many makers to begin with before the size consideration (US 14).moremad
    If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

Rifle, another $150
      Well that's cheap, what rifle did you get?
      Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Cost

Sebastian,

When I started abuot 5 years ago I paid 75 bucks for my K-98. Looked like it had been drug to France and back to Leningrad behind a motorcycle. But with a little elbow grease and cold blue it ended up being a pretty rifle. Good for re-enacting at least.

Comment

F.J. is about the most expensive to get into. we disclose the costs to new candidates at the beginning. a basic kit will start at $2000 or so. I have well over $6000 into mine. (extra weapons, personal gear, living history items.) however, the expenses are tax deductible if you save reciepts and do Living history events.

in my unit an acceptable F.J. helmet will cost $400 or so, not including extras like helmet cover or paint job.

A flieger bluse is also close to $400, and so is a smock.
          Trousers start at $200 or so.
          boots can run over $200,
          then all of your gear, accesory clothing (Tropical uniforms, etc.) not to mention weapons.
          My shooter G43 ran me $1500 (I can get shooters still for less than $800 and have a myriad of spare parts, but I wanted something that stood out... I found a nice mismatched AC43 code. only 2 dozen or so are known in the U.S. today. being Mr. G43, I just had to have something cool that noone else did!)
          it is a very expensive hobby. the Heer impressions are the cheapest to put together and I think Jack is right on with the $1200 figure.
          I know it costs considerably less $300-400 without weapon, to do U.S. and maybe this is why American units tend to have so much more of the riff-raff elelment (pardon me for this, but it is the truth) than the German units. the ability and dedication to spend the extra money weeds out a lot of the riff-raff.

it is difficult, especially in an F.J. unit, and one as small as mine, to be able to issue a "loaner kit" to a prospective candidate.
          there is plenty of weapons and field gear to borrow, but to just get into the field, they are required to purchase helmet, trousers, smock, and boots. they are the most expensive items other than weapon, and it is crazy to ask anyone in the unit to purchase spares of these for such an instance. how would you figure sizes anyway? there is not enough funds in the unit coffers to do something like this and those funds are sorely needed for items like drop cannisters, living history display items, mines, demolition items and tools (we are a pionier unit).
          Brian

Comment

So long as a person is not enormous, we have the ability to pretty well kit out 2 or 3 new comers at any given event. That being said, I try to not do it more than once. If a fellow shows some commitment by starting to buy kit items, I will continue helping him with the small items. But, if just wants to come out and play with my stuff everytime, forget it.

I put the money amount out to new guys for no other reason than I don't want them to try to put together a kit on a shoestring. Some stuff just won't work, folks. So, if they know it on the front end, they know what to expect from me.

Seba, my K98 is one of the first batch of Russian imports to come in. Luckily, it has all of its marks left and no import mark. I literally stripped its stock with nothing but hot water. It's a beauty now.

Comment

Let me say I didn't mean to sound like I believe costs should be hidden from interested parties. As discussed, it is a considerable sum to fully outfit an impression, just that I don't think a membership drive should focus on cost as its main sales pitch I do agree, the "discount impressions" just don't cut it - the member and unit won't like it either, regardless if it passes the 10 foot test or not

I like to have several extra items with me - an extra camo SS smock or say an extra helmet, etc - but do not like to just hand them out wholesale...I want to have extras on hand for those just getting into the hobby who are showing the commitment but who haven't fully assembled their kit....just as someone did for me.

Both of the units I belong to are small, but there seems to be an abundance of gear to loan. I guess we are lucky like that
              If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

Hi Guys, we have quite a few enquires to join "Summer of '44". Tim Bell, who has just joined us here handles many of these. We were only talking about this on Monday night.
                Perhaps Tim will comment ?

With regards to "2nd Guards Rifle" Lez and I have been members for 18 months. The group has it's own Quartermaster and some basic uniforms and kit can be purchased from them. This makes a small profit for the group and also allows us to buy in bulk at a better price. An initial loan of kit can be made for one event to see if the prospective member enjoys taking part. Weapons can be loaned or hired.
                I have made a list of kit that we have bought:

M40 helmet £35 to £50
                M36 helmet £80
                Pilotka (side cap) £7
                M35 Gymastroika £70
                M43 Gymnastroika (shirt/tunic) £30
                Pogoni (shoulder boards) £15
                Sharivari (breeches) £15
                Sapoghis (boots) £15
                Belt £5
                Guards Badge £8
                Glass canteen and cover £25
                PPSh 41 drum ammo pouch £8
                PPSh stick mag pouch £10
                F1 Grenade pouch + 3 grenades £65
                Mess tins 1935 pattern £8
                Wooden spoon £1
                Entrenching tool & cover £15
                Plash-palatka (groundsheet/poncho) £15
                Myshok (pack) £15
                Gas mask bag £5
                Shinel (greatcoat) £25
                Telogreika (padded winter jacket) £70
                Ameoba camo suit £40
                PPSh 41 with 2 drum mags £160
                PPS 43 SMG £110
                DP 28 LMG £250
                Tokarev TT33 pistol + holster £250
                Inert rounds for filling mags £23

All the items are original WW2, bar the M35 Gyms and camo suit, which are US made repros.

So the total is around £1,375 spent on me and another £622 for Lez. (The extra for me covers the weapons and camo suit)
                We think that is really cheap for a complete impression, and certainly much cheaper that doing British Airborne. The big plus is that the kit is all real and a good investment too.
                Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Ade, quick question.... it may sound like a dumb one, but....
                  how do you fight, or hold tactical events without operating firearms? this would seem exceedingly difficult. it is hard enough to "kill" the enemy when you are using blanks, but with your country's insane gun ownership laws, this must make it near impossible to play.
                  how do you do it?
                  Bri

Comment

Hi Brian, don't start me on about our wonderfull gun laws! moremad
                    However, if you have a firearm licence you can own a bolt action rifle. K98's, Lee Enfield No.4's, Mosin-Nagants, etc, are not a problem.
                    Purpose made blank firering weapons are allowed.
                    Pistols, Semi autos and full autos are banned for private ownership. But we can hire weapons (other than pistols) from a Section 5 Firearms dealer for the main shows we do. The dealer we use just happens to be our unit Chairman for 2nd Guards. So we do have access to Maxim's and PTRS Anti-tank rifles, PPsh41's, etc.
                    Hope this answers your question?
                    Cheers, Ade.

Comment

thanks Ade, that clears it up. how much does it cost to "hire" say a ptrs or a ppsh41? those blanks in 14.5 for the ptrs are probably hard to get and pretty expensive!
                      Bri

Comment

Hi Brian, hire cost is £25 for a weekend. The 14.5mm cases are all hand re loads, as you say the cases themselves are very hard to find. If you ever see any please drop me a line
                        Talking of Anti - tank rifles, I keep toying with buying a deact PTRS as a mate has a mint 1944 dated example for sale. Trouble is, I don't think it will fit in my car to take it to shows!
                        Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Ade, there is a company stateside who makes cases and live rounds... they have a website, I'll look it up.
                          I have a live 14.5mm ap round in my collection, but I'm sure it would never make it through customs!
                          Bri

Comment

Riff Raff?!?!

Hey now. All that stuff was propaganda. You don't actually have to believe it Seriously, in putting together a US impression, I've spent a good chunk of change. Some items, I got at good prices and others, I paid right at "through the nose." Pretty bad when you know there are a s s loads this stuff in footlockers in attics through out the country (and occassionally surplus cases of the stuff are released by Uncle Sugar). Some of the repro stuff cost as much if not more than original. Original M42 suspenders, Thompson pouches, MkII's (original with original paint - not those "just painted yesterday" yellow band copies), M1 steel pots, low boots or even the double buckles and M41 field jackets are durn pricey. Without my Thompson, my "head to toe" US infantryman set up was well over $1000. I don't even want to discuss how much my German set ups cost.

Just thought I'd mention "Remember D-Day" today.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X