why we do it.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why we do it.....

a question often asked of me. would like to ask your feelings and reasons on this subject.
    I get a lot of questions from folks if anyone is ever offended by what I portray. mostly I get questions on what I'm portraying, what period, what kind of SKS is that???
    I do what I do (albeit a German impression) - let's face it, the Germans had cooler uniforms, cooler weaponry, and someone has to play the bad guys. it's not at all about the politics as some liberals might think. you brothers well know there are too many cowboys and not enough of us injuns- it is for the history.
    that generation was the greatest in history. there will never in all of future history be another generation like it.
    I do what I do because they don't teach it in the schools today. these kids (and it isn't their fault, they're damn curious about it. it can only be blamed on the teachers and the government) aren't taught well in schools. they don't teach them. most of them can't name the capitals of the 50 states, let alone spell them. they start with the pilgrims in the fall, the revolution, the civil war by spring, and by summer at the end of the year there is no time left for WW2. it just falls by through the cracks. thank God for the History channel at the least or they would have nothing.
    I do what I do because a thousand of those selfless souls who sacrificed everything 50 odd years ago for our freedom, our way of life, our future are leaving this world every day. in 5 or 10 years they will all be gone. without those of us who preserve and teach their history their memory would soon fade and be all but forgotten.
    I do what I do because when I meet a vet and tell him what I do and why I do it and thank him and those who did not return for their sacrifices for me and all of us (they are the real heroes of our time) and spend the time with them and hear their story... and walk away after thanking them and telling them they will not be forgotten as long as I have a say and look back and see the tears welling up in their eyes. seeing how much joy they get in sharing their pictures and stories with someone who genuinely has interest in a tired old man.
    this is why I do what I do. I hope there are many more of us who feel the same way, but if you reenact, I'm sure these sentiments strike a cord with you and you can relate.
    and don't forget, Memorial day is coming up. take the time to thank a vet for your freedom and way of life. it isn't often they hear it, and it means a lot to them especially so late in life when they are spending time reflecting on their years. let them know that what they did and what they so selflessly gave is not forgotten.
    Bri
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-16-2003, 01:22 AM.

For me I do it:

To honor the veterans of all nations.

Preserving the truths of history and WWII, and keeping interest in that era alive ( I do truly believe they were the finest generation).

My collecting interests.

My love of field tactics and bivoauc (yes, I am nuts).

I miss the military tremendously.

I like being with like minded people who feel the same way, ie the comradeship.

An escape from a society that has run amuck.

Willi
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Guys, I can only echo Brian and Willi's comments.
      This weekend I spent a very cold and wet 48 hours living in a field. Someone asked me this question only yesterday. We met a couple of British Army Veterans and they were very impressed with our dedication. That made it all worth while. (Plus I found out some new info on Mills No.36 grenades from one of them.)
      Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I don't mean for this to sound as bad as it likely will at first, just that I had one of those moments that puts things in perspective.

I played army as a kid - always, always wanting to be the German side - because, simply as Brian put it, the Germans had cooler uniforms and weapons! But also in part, because of my families history. I was aware of history even then, and honestly the more I learned of the non-political side of the war, the more keen my interest in the German military became.

So when I started reenacting, it was for the fun of putting on that "forbidden" uniform and playing out battles that I had read about for years...and I love it. Yes, I do get a hard time for being a German - but mainly from my friends and family.

This weekend the various Allied and Axis units in the area were invited to put up a living history display in conjunction with the dedication of a memorial at an old Army Air Corp base. The turnout was mind boggling given the small size of the town and its location. We all had a great time.

During the day a WW2 Veteran called over to me and asked me who & what was I supposed to be - he said that he certainly recognized the uniforms of the Heer and SS reenactors present, but mine threw him off (I was in my Luft Tropical FJ uniform)...so a brief conversation insued...at the end he graciously thanked me for being there and sharing history with those in attendance - it really moved me, here this Veteran was thanking me? I said that it was me who should be thanking him, but he insisted on how important our being there was.....this really made me think and realize how what we do does really honor Veterans as well as inform an increasingly uninformed public. I had hoped that I was doing some good while out there having fun, but always questioned how WW2 Veterans would react - especially to the German reenactors.
        If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

I had a similar experience at last fall's Knob Creek MG. shoot.
          a small American WW2 encampment was set up, and there were perhaps 6 or 7 reenactors dressed as Germans in attendance, myself included, in my F.J. kit. we were rounded up and interviewed for an upcoming program on Turner Network South.
          (whatever that is, for I live in Pennsylvania).

afterwards, I made my way up to the American camp and started looking over their campsite and gear... there was a lonely old man in a 10th Armored uniform sitting by himself on a Jeep, completely being ignored by everyone. I walked up to him and he greeted me in German.
          I had a very lengthy conversation with the old fellow, and told him about what I do, why I do it, and thanked him quite graciously.
          he took me over to where his car was parked and got out an old photo album of his. there were several photos he took during the battle of Bastogne. he even had a signed letter thanking the 10th Armored for their service during the battle from none other than General McAuliffe. When I walked away, he saluted me, and I could see the tears welling up in his eyes.
          We love them for what they gave for us and what they went through (on both sides), and so they love us too, for remembering them and carrying on their memories.
          let us all never forget.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X