Monte Cassino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monte Cassino

it is a great year for theme events for my unit....... unfortunately the pickings are slim this year as far as events go, but we have some really stellar ones.
    FIG was great, reenacting von der Heydte's raid..... a complete success. Willi did a great job planning and leading us during the event.
    Bedford was so so, but the last battle taking the village was awesome.
    Reading will be a lot of fun, but not really much action.
    we do have three really cool themed events scheduled for this summer, early autumn.
    we have D-Day, an Ost front event (these are always awesome because most of the Russkies also do German impressions and they really fight hard.)
    and the best yet.... Cassino.
    the Cassino event is in July in the Poconos. only 50 Germans (the terrain advantage is that good) against 3 to 1 odds. -the Ami's never fight very hard anyway...... and from everything I hear we have some cool surprises in store for them! this should be the event of the year. (and for once, we get to defend!)

Brian, this one sounded so worth attending, that I am making the trek to it from Memphis. Looking forward to being there.

Comment

jack- i can top that- to me it sounded so great that ill be coming from germany

Gruß,
      KSM
      Last edited by Kai-Steffen M.; 05-15-2003, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Awesome! Kai has been P.M.'ing me so I knew he would be there.
        I'm looking forward to meeting you Jack, though now that I know he will be there. are other members of your unit attending? this will be outstanding. I know there is a website for the event... I'll try and dig it up shortly... I just picked up some cool campsite items today and am getting stuff ready for Reading. also got some new hobnails today and my boots desperately needed them, so been replacing the worn down ones.
        Bri

Comment

link to a page on the Cassino event: link

Comment

Brian, I am going with Paul Mullins. We are registering as 10.FJR, I believe. I've got a staff tent on order. Hopefully it will be in by then.

Comment

As Brian and Kai are aware, I am the German Co for Monte Cassino. There will also be some HG troops coming also. I understand that the event is now closed for Germans, as we have 50 singed up......now we need 150 Allies to attend to give them a chance at taking the mountaintop.

My FJ KG has about 22 troops coming and will setup in one large bivouac area with as much era equipment, crates, Zelts, chutes, etc to setup up. Any other FJ is welcome to setup with us.

On the last day we will host a full-auto shoot at a range nearby. A chance to shoot weapons such as the FG42. From a phone call last night the owner stated he now has it blank adapted for the battle.

Glad to hear Jack and Paul are coming.

Willi
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

sounds cool

This sounds like quite an event

When I first started reenacting it seemed like there were hardly any events in the "Great Midwest", only super cool sounding events like this on the coasts....but, things have changed, it seems like this spring/early summer there has been an event within reasonable distance ever weekend - or at least every other weekend.

While a lot of the newer events have been public displays/battles, there have been more tacticals sprouting up....events with a lot more thought going into them - such as this one.....has the hobby matured or what? I do think the increase in public displays (including battles) can be attributed to the increased patriotism...has that brought about an increased interest overall?
                any thoughts?
                If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

Ardennes, have you gone to Gruber?
                  Bri

Comment

No, sadly, I have had to be out of town for work the past two years - next year though! I have already put it on the calendar and filed for a kitchen pass to boot!

Comment

I have heard they put on some excellent events there, but alas, it is a little too far for me to venture... about a 24 hour drive.
                      Brian

Comment

Gruber

Now this is only based on heresay A lot of the local reenactors head down to Gruber each year - and always have something good to say afterwards. I know that there have been some grumblings about the "restrictions" placed on reenactors of both sides, but they are only stressing the accuracy of the event. What I am referring to is requirng Soldbuchs for every German, gas mask bags for every GI, etc etc... all in an effort to keep the event historicaly accurate.

This year there were partisans actively working against the German garrison, a strengthened beachhead awaiting the "landing" GI's, hard a**ed Feldgendarmes putting lazy troops to work, etc - which contributed to making the event great. All that plus excellent support by the regional units.

The word on the street is that they are going to attempt a Monte Cassino / Italian Front campaign at Gruber later this year - IMO it will be a "must-go"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X