Imperial German Ordnance and Battlefield Debris, Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial German Ordnance and Battlefield Debris, Part 2

I'll continue with some different pieces of shell fragments. Think about these, red glowing and with a speed of 1000 m/s hitting you...

The left one was a high explosive grenade (HE); note the thickness of the steel or cast iron. The one on the middle was maybe a Wurfmine (mortar mine) or a HE too. The right one was a mortar mine or a shrapnel grenade; note how thin this material is. You can still see the winding where the fuse was attached.

It's unbelieveable which great power frazzled this thick and strong metal!

Comment

This very big fragment was a german 10 cm HE grenade. The copper band is still attached. The size of this item is about 31 x 12 cm.

Comment

Thickness is about 13 mm!

Comment

This german entrenchment tool was found in the Bois de Chapitre. I have no clue why this tool has got a METAL handle. It should be wood. If someone can provide informations about german infantry spades with METAL handle, please let me know. This item in in very good condition after nearly 90 (!) years in the earth.

The most iron/steel items from the earth of Verdun are in very good condition. Ok, "very good" is maybe the wrong description, but after 90 years in wind and rain... I think that they are preserved by the lime rich earth, which is a little bit alkaline and neutralizes the acid which is generated during the rust/oxidation process.

Comment

Great stuff! So you can literally just find this stuff on the ground in places like Verdun, Somme and Cambrai? Really? Maybe i should take a quick leave and take a nice trip to see some battlefields
            Antti

Comment

Just watch out for the UNexploded shells!

The lack of rust is indeed remarkable.

One thought on the entrenching shovel (how heavy IS that thing!?): since so many were used like medieval axes to fight with, maybe somebody made a batch up INTENDED for being fighting implements? I would imagine a wooden handle that broke off when you brained someone wasn't very good in hand to hand fighting.

Comment

There are TONS of them!

Comment

Rick, the (smaller) fragments are cleaned, the big one is only laqered. The spade is very light. Maybe too light to use the handle as weapon.

Comment

Tons of what? unexploded shells or great stuff ready to be picked up? Or both?
                    Antti

Comment

Blitz: BOTH! But remember, on each of these items is blood. Always have this in mind! Don't be one of these "I collect every fragment and sell them on ebay" wannabe "historical collectors". And don't try to touch everything unknown. Two years ago a father and his son were killed as they worked on a french 155 mm HE shell on Cote 304. The biggest part of the father they found was about 5 kg! Even after 90 years a lot of these items are dud, but not dead!

Comment

No, don't get me wrong. I'm not into collecting pieces of bloody uniform fragments or sceletons. AND DEFINETLY NOT SELLING THEM ON ebay! However, if i have the chance to visit a battlefield, it's nice to take a suvineer of some kind. Without becoming a grave-robber or getting myself into danger. To have a piece of history, if you know what i mean. You do know what i mean, don't you?
                        Antti

Comment

Beautiful stuff. I cant wait when I get to go and visit Verdun and the Somme... I will be in a 'Heaven'.

Comment

Blitz: I only wanted to be sure

Comment

I know, thank God were now both sure
                              Antti

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X