Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Europe based re-enactor suppliers.

Hello all,
    just a quick question. After being hammered (yet again) by import tax, VAT, and every other arcane and obscure charge that HM Customs can levy against me, pertaining to purchases from the States, it's no longer becoming viable to buy items from the main US re-enactor dealers
    Do any fellow forum members know of any European suppliers that have a web-based, quality, product to offer (i need a pair of trousers to finish a repro uniform)?
    Thanks for any leads,

Patrick.

2 companies pop into mind.

Soldier of Fortune

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/

and Norman D Landing

http://www.norman-d-landing.com/

Both are UK based as far as I know.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Des

Comment

Hi Patrick, what in particular are you after? I take it that the trousers will be German?
      I can certainly recommend "Norman D. Landing", real name is Ken Lewis. I have known Ken over 20 years and he is the man for US kit in the UK.
      Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Des and Ade,
        thanks for the replies, i am indeed aware of "SOF", but his stuff is a bit....well...let's just say it isn't the best in it's field.
        Ade, i am indeed looking for a pair of German repro trousers.
        I seem to remember seeing an advert for a UK company called "Extra Klasse"..have you come across any of their products during your re-enactments?
        Thanks again both for the help,

Patrick.

Comment

Hi Patrick, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have been away at an event, then we have had the 1 year old Grandson to stay and I am just about recovering!

"Extra Klass" is the name Jim Brown goes under for the part of his business selling Janke made caps. I am sure you will know Jim, he is at most large fairs and was at Malvern earlier this year. He is a nice guy. Here is his website:

http://www.rzmilitaria.com/

It is rather slow to load I recall.

I think that you might struggle in getting a good quaility product in Europe? All the good stuff is US made. You could try Richard Underwood, but most of his woolen stuff is converted Swedish

http://freespace.virgin.net/amber.reeves/Main.html

Hope this is some help?
          Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hello again Ade,
            no need to apologise, it's very kind of you to take the time to help (especially after a Grandson related blitzkrieg ).
            I do indeed know of Jim Brown, well, i can now put a name to a face at least. Interesting to find out about his other company too, i once saw a tunic of theirs at a previous Farnham show...not a bad repro for a British product
            Oh well, more free cash on the way for customs i suppose.....

Thanks again,

Patrick.

Comment

it's unfortunate that purchasing items and shipping them across the pond is such a hassle. I often sell items to folks in Europe, and when I ship, I always put on the customs form that the item is a gift (not commercial goods) and is worth about $10-20 (even if it is a several hundred dollar item) this saves the reciever from getting hit with customs fees, taxes, etc. (it has only not worked one time out of dozens.) it also helps to avoid would be postal thieves. (someone is more likely to make off with a package valued at $500 than one valued at $10) but I know the big companies here won't do that.
              then shipping itself is unreliable at best. sometimes items take 4-6 weeks or more. postal systems on both sides are completely unreliable, unsympathetic, unwilling to help or communicate with each other.
              I sometimes think it might be easier if I took the package over myself!

think about this, if it would help you, and save you money, order the item you want from the States, and have them ship it to me, give me your address and I will ship it to you that way. I'm sure it will save you money in VAT and Customs.

Comment

"I always put on the customs form that the item is a gift (not commercial goods) and is worth about $10-20 (even if it is a several hundred dollar item) this saves the reciever from getting hit with customs fees, taxes, etc. "

Your a nice guy! I wish all US sellers would do this. When I lived in Ireland it never mattered to me because even if I was sent something with a declared value of $1000 I did`nt have to pay a penny to customs but now that I live in Canada, well lets just say its a totally different story!

Most US/Foreign sellers are nice enough to understand but now and again you get some self righteous holier than thou type who wont budge on it. So you typically end up paying an additional 30% of the items value. That can be a real kick in the teeth. I`ve been caught out before so now I always try and ask the seller well before if they will do it or not.

Somehow though I think if these same US sellers who refuse to write gift instead of merchandise had to pay an average 30% extra on each item they bought overseas their attituide would suddenly change ever so slightly

Regards,

Des

Comment

Hello Brian,
                  regarding your magnificent offer i can only say.....
                  It really is very kind of you indeed!
                  I'm roughly a week away from a purchase, so could i contact you again then perhaps?
                  As Des mentions, most US sellers generally, are indeed, very helpful regarding the Customs question, but as you point out yourself, the big US repro vendors are not so...flexible in their approach. I understand their reasons for this, as i also understand my Customs laws are not their responsibility...but it still hurts when that damn charge hits home.
                  My last repro purchase was a pair of jackboots. Nice enough item, i'm pleased with them, but after Customs were finished (and the Royal mail for that matter) it had added another £30/$49 to the final total

Thanks again,

Patrick.

Comment

Patrick, yes, let me know, I would be happy to help out if I can. send me an email when you are ready.
                    Brian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X