• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice indeed.

Peter

Comment

Wow....

beautiful stuff
      Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Dear Sirs.

Thank you very much for the comments. It is nice to know that someone enjoys the pictures you have posted.

I have found out about the Seenotproviantboje. Georg(e) from Luftwaffe Bullet Board helped me with some information and this link: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...highlight=bouy.
        Picture from the linked site.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by kristensen; 02-18-2006, 04:55 AM.

Comment

More info on http://www.bob-ma.org/modules.php?na...rticle&artid=4.

"In October 1940, the Germans introduced the Sea Rescue Float as one remedy for the changing needs of the air war.

These buoys were anchored in the channel quite close to the coast of France, Belgium etc. The idea was that crippled bombers or fighters could ditch near the bouy and the crews reach it. Inside were rations, a stove and even board games for the aircrew to amuse themselves while they awaited rescue. There were bunks inside for the aircew to sleep. A fleet of 60 He 59 float planes was assembled to patrol the bouys and pick up any aircrew inside. They had a lamp on the top to be visible at night and a streamer type marker was attached to them so that the pilots could see which way the current was running from the air and ditch on the correct side of the bouy to make it easier to get to. The bouy was not very well anchored however, and several ended up drifting away and some were even captured by the RAF who repainted them and anchored them off the English coast!

More details:
          These buoy-type floats contained bunks, blankets, dry clothes, food, water, and distress signals. Their distinctive yellow paint made them visible for many miles. Periodically, rescue boats as well as Heinkels checked the buoys. Since they attracted any distressed aviator, British and German alike, the RAF also sent launches to make occasional checks. The hapless airmen who made it to one of these floats never knew if they might be rescued by their own forces or picked up by the enemy and interned for the rest of the war.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by kristensen; 02-17-2006, 09:26 AM.

Comment

pic
            Attached Files

Comment

Kristensen,
              I had no idea these even existed. Thanks again for sharing!

Chet
              Zinc stinks!

Comment

Hi i never knew about these.You learn something new everyday. Danke Brian

Comment

More infor from Luftwaffe Bullet Board. Bert Hartmann posted this super pic
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X