Polish Paratroopers finally get MWO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polish Paratroopers finally get MWO

afther 60 years get the polish paratroopers and there heroic leader general stanislaw sosabowski the militaire willems order(dutch knight cross )for there heroic battle at market garden.
    sosabowski where also awarded with the bronzen leeuw (right under the mwo)
    finally gets one of the graetest division's in ww 2 the honour they deserve.
    we all know the quote from sosabowski are we going not a bridge too far !

regards johan
    Last edited by johannes post; 12-29-2006, 02:25 PM.

Nice to hear Johannes The Poles certainly deserve this honour.

But is was Major General "Boy" Browning to whom the famous quote is attributed

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

thanks adrian

your right but sosabowski was
      from the begining against this operation.

regards johan

Comment

and that you have 100%% correct............
        not only did he think it was a foolhardy operation...
        but the Polish Paras had been promised and had trained for landing in Poland.....
        but instead, the allies, as usual, went back on their word...and forced them on this disaster of a mission...........
        g

Comment

Indeed Sosabowski was proved correct about the operation. The British High Command treated him very badly afterwards too which was disgraceful in my opinion.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela....

Glad to hear that Hail to the brave Poles who:

- fought hard on nearly every front of the second world war, started fighting in the september 1939 and were hoping to defend our motherland until Allied forces came to our rescue....

- helped our dishonoured Allies in bloody 1940... ,helped both of them as defended the skies over France as well as over England, the famous FS(Polish) 303.Sqn was the most succesful Allied unit in the BoB.

Our seamen were distinguished as well when our destroyer 'Piorun' followed Bismarck battleship and kept the radar contact until the rest of the British formation could engage. Our subs did not have to be advertised - their successes are well known.

Our ground and para troops did many victorious battles suffering heavy casualties - Tobruk, Monte Cassino, Lenino, Falais, Arnhem and many many more other places have been watered with Polish blood...

It doesn't matter on what side (West/East) the Polish soldier fought - our goal was to win an independent country again... unfortunately our Allies (Soviets, Amies and Brits) seemed to be constantly forgotting about their most loyal and biggest armed ally and SOLD us in Jalta...

So sad that the Polish nation was the ONLY Allied Armed Force that was not invited to the Victory Celebration in London in 1946...

The recent celebration in Moscow... - one might have learned that the war started in 1941....

IT IS REALLY NICE TO HEAR THAT AFTER ALL THESE YEARS OUR EFFORTS ARE NOT BEING FORGOTTEN BY SOME...

Comment

This is very nice to see.

Tomasz,

I agree with you, the Poles certainly got the short end of the stick, to fight the Nazis and then only to have their country occupied by the Soviets. My Polish Grandfather spent the war in a Labour Camp in Germany, then escaped shortly before the war's end, luckily because of his service being a translator to the British, he got a plane ticket to England. So I know full well how tough and determined the Poles are.

Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Mumby
                This is very nice to see.

Tomasz,

I agree with you, the Poles certainly got the short end of the stick, to fight the Nazis and then only to have their country occupied by the Soviets. My Polish Grandfather spent the war in a Labour Camp in Germany, then escaped shortly before the war's end, luckily because of his service being a translator to the British, he got a plane ticket to England. So I know full well how tough and determined the Poles are.

Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski!
                Yeah!!

'Jeszcze Polska nie zginela poki my zyjemy'

Tom, my grandfather (may he rest in peace) was also a prisoner in a German c-camp. He was released by the Soviets and he sacrificed himself to rebuilt Poland from the ashes. During his academic duty he was awarded numerous medals incl.Order of Builders of People's Poland (the highest Polish Award in the communistic period), Polonia Restituta V class, Golden Cross of Merit and many more...

Although I am not the fan the communistic period, I am very proud about my grandfather who was not given the opportunity to know the OTHER reality than the communistic system...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X