X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atomic Bomb: Today Marks 75 Years

My story on the Atomic Bomb

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2020/...arks-75-years/

It was 75 years ago on August 6, 1945 when an atomic bomb was used for the first time in war. It was dropped from the B-29 bomber Enola Gay on the Japanese city of Hiroshima. The bomb, codenamed Little Boy, was used against the Empire of Japan just three weeks after the first nuclear detonation was conducted at the Trinity test site in New Mexico.

A second atomic bomb, an implosion-type nuclear weapon codenamed Fat Man, was detonated over the Japanese city of Nagasaki on August 9. The nuclear age had arrived, and World War II had become the first – and hopefully last – “nuclear war.”

very sad day in human history it was .........................

Comment

Originally posted by HAF View Post
      very sad day in human history it was .........................
      but necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post

but necessary.
        my uncle was KIA on Ie Shima (he was 19) / I would hate to guess how many of our boys would of died invading Japan proper
        steve

Comment

War is hell. Let’s hope we’ve all learned this lesson and prevent anymore.

Tom
          If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
          [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Durante View Post
            War is hell. Let’s hope we’ve all learned this lesson and prevent anymore.

Tom
            i agree with you Tom

Comment

Originally posted by HAF View Post

i agree with you Tom
              Doesn't appear we have unless I've been mistaking the nightly news for the History Channel for the last 50 years.

Comment

A friend who is still with us got off a troop ship in the Philippines the day the first bomb was dropped and would spend most of the next year running the generators in a prison camp for Japanese. There was a smaller POW camp in the middle of the big camp for hard-core prisoners to include those who were headed for trial. A small group of Japanese volunteers who knew generators worked for him and he found them to be very agreeable. He is still most thankful for never getting any closer to Japan and having a fairly pleasant relationship with immediate former enemies. The couple times I was able to converse with Gen.Tibbits at OVMS events he had no hesitation saying it was necessary. That pretty well informs my view of the end of the war. A horrible ending but a peaceful friendship since. My father was headed to the Pacific but was stopped from leaving the States because he had too many points.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X