Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huertgen Forest

Hello

Im planning a visit to Huertgen Forest and surounding village's. i was just wondering if anyone new of any village in this area that has architecture surviving from the war and also if any one has the location of some bunkers and fox holes on a map this would be realy helpful.

any advice is welcome.

cheers.

Welcome to the forum, you can ask Jean Loup on the forum for info, that's normally his kind of thing...

Comment

I might be able to join up with a metal detector,,Iam not that far from the area and would like to also see. Ill ask around to some of my German friends who know the locations. If anyone else could help,,please do
      Iam Uncle Sam
      That’s who Iam
      Been hiding out
      In a rock and roll band

Comment

I was there last week. ( Kall trail ) Got a tour by a American Sergeant Major ( Ranger ). This tour is normally given to Dutch military personel. We met a German Veteran there that gives tours. His name is Schulz. He speaks perfectly good english.

Contact him:

http://hometown.aol.de/huertgenforest/page1.html

Comment

i know of a few people who went not so long ago and said you can pick up kit lying on the floor!!
          also my grandad was stationed there after the war and built RAF Bruggen he told me many stories about that area witch i enjoyed very much finding paperwork waches uniforms hanging in trees grenades wepons galore on the floor and he had to pick them all up to be destroyed he also did mine detecting and when i baught my Tellermine and showed it to him he told me that it was the type he would dig up and what buggers they were

Comment

Elliot, I got your PM, but unfortunatly cant be of much help, since I have never set foot in the Ardennes, and dont know that battle well.
            If I was going there for the first time, I would look at a map and see what villages saw fighting, then ask local old men what happened in the war, an if they ever find any items from that period. There are probably plenty of period houses still left, and if you look at the right place can surely find shell and bullet scared walls.
            Contacting the "tourist" guides might not be the best of you hope to find stuff on the ground, as they probably brought dozens of visitors to the same places every time. The places where there was the heaviest fighting arent necessarely the best to find stuff, as they will also have been heavily searched.
            JL

Comment

Originally posted by elliott.cottell
              Hello

Im planning a visit to Huertgen Forest and surounding village's. i was just wondering if anyone new of any village in this area that has architecture surviving from the war and also if any one has the location of some bunkers and fox holes on a map this would be realy helpful.

any advice is welcome.

cheers.

drop me an e-mail to outlaws@bluewin.ch I know this place very good. Have been there 3 times and would have a nice contac regarding a guide.

Juerg
              Strength and Honour
              http://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.com/

Comment

Hi i have been there.The town of Huertgen was totally destroyed,so everything is post war.there is a small museum but check ahead it is not always open.I was told that the forest is an uncleared battlefield and no digging etc. is allowed.keep the detector hidden until you get in the forest areas. Brian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X