Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monte Cassino

Hello everyone,

I am going to Italy this friday with some friends for a 10 day trip. I am hoping to get down to Monte Cassino for a few days. Can anyone who has been there provide me with some suggestions on museums, must see sights, hotels/ restaurants, general advice etc..... Thank you in advance!

Hiya Des,

You know I'm envious right? I have found a link to the museum in Cassino. Please check it out if you go and snap lots of photos.

http://battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/cassino_museum.htm

Cheers,
    Greg

Comment

Hi Greg,

Thanks, thats very useful! You will be there in spirit I'm sure Don't worry I will take lots of photos.

Comment

Des Hi,

I hope you have a good time, green with envy, I can't remember his name, but there is a chap on the forum that lives in Cassino or very close and has had some dealings with a museum or something there.

So a search in the FJ forum on Cassino and his details should come up, may be worth an email.
        Regards
        Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Hi Si,

I did a search but had no joy.I am hoping some people who have been to Cassino will post and give me some ideas?

p.s Nice chatting to you at Beltring

Comment

Des Hi,
            Nice to see you again too & Stan enjoyed his treat. I did a search and the members name is Marco see the attached link, which i hope will be of some help.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=cassino
            Regards
            Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Thanks Si I sent him a pm.

Comment

There is actually a nice display of German items in the Abbey itself(which is beautiful BTW). Also there is a very impressive display of headgear from the Popes going back a long way indeed. Down in the city center is a display of a Pak 40 that was blown to hell as well as a Sherman and a couple of other pieces. If you go down to Monte La Difensa there are still FSSF items to be found there as well.

Gary

Comment

Don't forget to visit the Commonwealth, German and Polish war cemeteries, all are well worth a visit. When i was there a few years ago we stopped about half way up the road towards the Abbey, i went for a little wander (as i'm prone to do) on the slopes and it took me all of about 1 minute to pick up several pieces of shrapnel and a bullet head.
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Great guys, thanks for the tips

Comment

How was it then Des? Did it all go well and according to plan?

Let's see the photos too

Comment

Due to circumstances out of my control unfortunately I could not make it down to Cassino I ended up staying in the foothills of the Alps up in Northern Italy and had a great time all the same. I will definitely go to Cassino soon though.

Comment

Hi Des, sorry that you did not make it to Monte Cassino, but Northern Italy is a very nice place to stay Did you see any WW2 related sites while you were there?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X