U-boats and friendly ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-boats and friendly ports

Does anybody have an information about neutral or other ports where German U-boats might have been able to take cover and take on supplies in WWII. Anything about South America, North Africa, or Ireland? I have heard various stories from veterans, but have yet to read anything in print. Thanks.

Definitely not Eire, although they were neutral during WWII they operated a strict policy of internment for German combatants whilst Allied ones were generally allowed to return to the UK (albeit not in uniform). Allied equipment was generally retained so aircraft that were forced to land were kept and the crew sent back by ferry.

I can't think of anywhere that this might have been possible in Africa. Don't forget that at this time most of the countries in Africa were still part of European empires, especially round the coasts. British Commonwealth countries are obviously out and French colonies generally went over to Vichy but with pragmatic self-government. That probably accounts for 90% of the African coastline. The remaining countries were Potuguese and Spanish colonies both of whom maintained a policy of strict neutrality. Lisbon was the spying centre of Europe where both sides kept up discrete contacts.

I don't know about South America but there would certainly have been no friendly port in the Caribbean. The best indication of how any German submarine arriving in a South American port is what happened to the Graf Spee which was sunk by the Royal Navy after being forced to leave port after the period of grace. Others might have more information on this.

I tend to think that other than brief visits to shore in unpopulated areas to collect fresh water it would be unlikely that submarines would have found any safe harbours. The Germans put considerable effort into re-supplying and re-fueling at sea which would indicate that help was not available from other sources.

All the best, Peter

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your information, Peter.

Originally posted by petermac
      Definitely not Eire, although they were neutral during WWII they operated a strict policy of internment for German combatants whilst Allied ones were generally allowed to return to the UK (albeit not in uniform). Allied equipment was generally retained so aircraft that were forced to land were kept and the crew sent back by ferry.

I can't think of anywhere that this might have been possible in Africa. Don't forget that at this time most of the countries in Africa were still part of European empires, especially round the coasts. British Commonwealth countries are obviously out and French colonies generally went over to Vichy but with pragmatic self-government. That probably accounts for 90% of the African coastline. The remaining countries were Potuguese and Spanish colonies both of whom maintained a policy of strict neutrality. Lisbon was the spying centre of Europe where both sides kept up discrete contacts.

I don't know about South America but there would certainly have been no friendly port in the Caribbean. The best indication of how any German submarine arriving in a South American port is what happened to the Graf Spee which was sunk by the Royal Navy after being forced to leave port after the period of grace. Others might have more information on this.

I tend to think that other than brief visits to shore in unpopulated areas to collect fresh water it would be unlikely that submarines would have found any safe harbours. The Germans put considerable effort into re-supplying and re-fueling at sea which would indicate that help was not available from other sources.

All the best, Peter

Comment

Vigo

Vigo in Spain is the only one which comes to mind.
        Submarines were resupplied there from German Merchant men who just " happened" to get stuck there with a cargo of "U-Boat friendly" supplies.
        I should be able to get the name (s) of the merchant men and related data later this evening.

Like Peter says- much is said about Eire and lots of tales still circulate but not a drop of fuel was ever recieved in Eire's waters.

Jak Showell has a book out on U-boat activity on enemy shores - I don't have it but am pretty sure that the activity in Vigo ( as per "Das Boat") did take place.
        Enigma would have disclosed it and a cost in damaged and sunk boats would have been extracted.

The building of a purpose built supply boat , provision of merchant supply ships and the Milk Cow boats would again point to the need for supply at long range or close to the operational area.
        By 40-41 any "local" supply system would have been redundant with the fall of France and increased Allied air activity.

Comment

N.c.

There have been many stories circulated over the years about U-BOATERS coming ashore on the various Outer Banks of N.C. to get supplies and other items, from houses, life guard stations, etc.....And it is said that Movie tickets were found in the pockets of dead u-boaters from theaters on the coast of N.C. I do not know of any stories that have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt...I do know that my Father in Law was at Wilmington, N.C., Carolina Beach area when several dead U-boaters washed up... And there is a story of a U-Boat shelling a DOW Chemicial plant near Wilmingron, N.C. There are at least 4 U-Boats sunk off the coast of N.C. U-352, U-85 and a couple of more...BILL

Comment

N.c.

There are two 90 min. documentaries done by University of N.C. on the U-Boats off the N.C. coast... This link gives some good information... www.unctv.org/warzone/program1.html

Comment

There was an article last year (wish I could remember where) about an automatic weather station left by the Germans somewhere in Canada. One of the big problems they had was the lack of weather ships in the Atlantic as these were boarded and captured very soon after the beginning of the war.

U-boats wouldn't of liked to broadcast weather reports as they have to be done regularly if they are to have any value and Allied direction finding was very effective. Does anyone know how the German Met. office put together weather maps? At the very least the Luftwaffe would have wanted Met. data.

Peter

Comment

Hi the weather station was on the coast of Labrador. Brian

Comment

weather station

Originally posted by divebomber
                  Hi the weather station was on the coast of Labrador. Brian
                  This is discussed in the U-boat net forum..In the 90s interested people went to find the site, and wow they found a lot of wwII German weather apparatus..BILL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X