My Uncle and RAF 311 Squadron Czechoslovakia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Uncle and RAF 311 Squadron Czechoslovakia

I have to start out by saying that this is a great forum, where members from across the world help each other out every day in so many ways. I have known this for a long time, but it was only last week that I was reminded of this.
    I put out a request to members in the UK, looking for anyone living in the Heslton Cornwall area. My Uncle has been buried there after being killed in 1944 while serving with the 311 RAF Czechoslovak Squadron. My Dad was able to take a few pictures after the war, prior to being sent back to Canada. But no family member has had the chance to visit the grave since 1945. My Dad is in his 80's now and his health is failing, like so many vets of that era. He always planned to return and say goodbye one last time, but never had the opportunity. Dad always wondered whether the graves were well cared for, and even though we knew the Commonwealth War Graves Commision does great work, not seeing the cemetary we did not know for certain.
    Almost immediately after putting in a request for any members in the Cornwall area, Batfink9 responded. His real name is Simon, and he offered to drive the two hour distance from his home to the cemetary in Cornwall. I offered to compensate him for his time and expenses, but he wouldn't accept a thing. Simon and his wife drove down to Cornwall this past weekend and took some splendid pictures, as well they placed flowers on the graves of my Uncle and his comrades. How do you repay such kindness? Our whole family, especailly my Dad was very emotional. Thank you Simon and Leanne.
    Adrian Stevenson had a great idea that this would make a good thread for the Living History Forum. Hope you all enjoy this, some pics my Dad took in 1945, pics of the funeral in 1944, and thanks to Simon pics 61 years later.

My Dad and his family came to Canada from Czechoslovakia in 1937. In 1941 my Uncle Joe volunteered to join the Czechoslovak wind of the Royal Air Force. Served as a gunner and navigator on Liberator BZ754.

Some of his crew

Funeral of the crew of BZ754 after the crash on 29 June 1944

These are pics my Dad took in 1945 while serving with the Canadian Army. My Uncle and Dad wrote to each other frequently, they planned to meet up in London on leave, but Joe died just before they were to meet.

Dad by the grave of his brother

Comment

Simon and Leanne took numerous excellent pictures of the graves and the cemetary, as well as placing flowers on the graves. Their kindness will always be remembered by our family. We were so pleased to see how the graves have been maintained.

Very special thanks one again to Simon and Leanne. My Dad was so pleased and surprised with the pictures.

Comment

Hi Joe, thank you for posting these photos and the story of your Uncle and may I also thank Simon for doing the current photos too
        I am really pleased that your Dad has seen how well his brothers grave is looked after.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Joe/Adrian, Thank you for the kind words but it really was my wife and I's pleasure to do the trip. It was great to see how well the Common Wealth Graves Commission look after the war casualties as we went down armed for weeding and only needed to lay the flowers. Here if I may make so bold are pics of others who are buried in Helston.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by batfink9; 06-04-2005, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Sailors from HMS Seahawk
                  Attached Files

Comment

The front of the Cemetery
                    Attached Files

Comment

A view from within
                      Attached Files

Comment

And on the way out, we will definately go down again to pay our respects.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X