Braefoot Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braefoot Point

Hello. I'm looking for a little information on Braefoot Point and i thought this would be the best place to ask. I only recently found out about this site, which is roughly one mile from Dalgety Bay and after a visit last week i was amazed at the way it has been allowed to fall into the state it currently is. It is a substantial series of buildings (at least 20)
    with also two large circular areas where i presume there were some fairly large guns, with a small track running between them and on to a bunker which is marked above the door 'MAGAZINE'. As you can see from the photos it overlooks the Firth of Forth and the bridges. It is so sad to see such an important piece of recent history fall into it's current state.
    If anyone could help, please do.
    much appreciated Darren.

I Apologise for the lack of pictures but my picture manager has just gone out of date, i will post asap.

Hi Darren, I don't have any info on the site but being placed close to such a stratigic point it would be bound to be well defended. I would ask around local people as I am sure many will remember the site during the war. Try any local history groups too.

Sadly there are many similar sites throughout the UK that have been destroyed or are now in poor condition. A shame!

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Darren.

There were many gun emplacements there during the war, and some can still be seen at Aberdour, Kinghorn, etc. The rail bridge was a top target for the Luftwaffe and the whole Forth estuary was bristling with flak bunkers and shelters, including the islands. An elderly relative of mine remembers several dog-fights over the Forth between Messerschmitts and fighters from Turnhouse and Leuchars.

Comment

The piccies! sorry about the glare in some of them.
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

what a view!!
            Attached Files

Comment

towards the bridges.
              Attached Files

Comment

this one is the kitchen and canteen.
                Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone know what this means? it was above a doorway.
                  Attached Files

Comment

it's such a shame to let it get into this condition when you think of the money the government and lottery wasted on the millenium dome etc. it makes your blood boil to see this happen to something that is such an important part of our history.
                    Attached Files

Comment

a view from the top of one the bunkers, you can almost see the Junkers coming in!!.........well maybe not but what a feeling this place has!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

5 miles from home.

How lucky we are to stay in a peaceful, picturesque place like this!

Until Sir Bob and his merry band of invaders get their hands on it, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden
                          5 miles from home.

How lucky we are to stay in a peaceful, picturesque place like this!

Until Sir Bob and his merry band of invaders get their hands on it, that is.
                          Better board up the windows and hide under the bed!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X