My day with a Canadian Para

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My day with a Canadian Para

First of all how i met him. A friend of mine i collecting info and paperwork about the liberation of Holland especialy the Leudal area (Limburg).For more then 15 years. So he contacted a lot of vets who fought here. Verry unknown is that the 6th Airborne stayed almost a month in Holland at the Maas river. (Also the Canadians). 2 weeks ago we had the 60 commoration of liberation of Holland.
    Im working also in a lokal museum and commite that organised the happenig. In our area stayed more than 40 veterans(have a lot of new friends now )
    we had to take care of them all week. That week also the friend of mine told me that Len Helerud (1CPB) was coming! So he asked me if i hade spare time to drive him around the battle fields of the Rhine area! Of course i have!!!
    So we meet 2may and took the drive at 3may. It was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!
    I picked him up around 930 and of we went. About 1030 we arived at Bergerfurth, where the dressingstation was in a church. .

There was also a temperely graveyard at the time, where Len is standing at the picture. A lot of his mates where buried here and moved after the war to Groesbeek

So you can see the old church is gone, where the dressing st. was, only a statue on the rare building is wat remembers of the old church. There is also a remberance stone, but only the German dead a remembered on it..
    The new church what is beside it was bild in 1971.

Of we go to the droppingfield where 3th para brigade came down.

This is a piece of the droppinzone, and Len remembered something... The little forrest you see in the picture is the forrest where they found Jeff Nicklin (CO 1CPB) hanging dead on his parachute.
    Its verry od to be there and hear the stories, this is realy happened, verry strange, you had to be there to feel it.

The next thing we found was the slittrench of Len, where he stayed a whole day. Its just at the end of the treeline. Where he and the rest dug in. He told me a story! A enemy tank was advancing and at the same moment, a glider of the RA landed behind it, the crew poped out and whitin a minut they put the 6pounder in action and shot the tracks of it. The 3 inch morters of the Canadians where with smoke adjusting on the tank, you wont believe it, just the moment the crew of the tank poped the hatch open(bailing out after being shot by the 6 pounder) a smokebomb fel in the turret..

It was a verry nice day, and got a real friend now, a pitty he lives in Canada and i in Holland. Its a houner to meet him, one of the many who risked there lives to give us freedom. His name is Len Helerud B-Coy, 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion.

Len and me...

Cheers
    Jeroen

Wow what an honour for you to spend time with such a great man!! It's tough for me to grasp that these heroes will not be around much longer. As a Canadian I am very proud of what the vets have done and am very grateful for how the people of Holland have treated the veterans. Good show!!
    Sean

Comment

Thanks

HI thank you for posting the photos.Do you have any more,Would love to see them.Thank you. Brian

Comment

Hi Jeroen, thanks for doing this thread You cannot beat meeting these guys and to walk with them where they fought is really special.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks for all your compliments, it was indeed a very special day

Sorry i didd`nt make more pics because it rained a lot..

Jeroen

Next week i will post something about a major of the Herfortshire who served as a loan with the 4th Btn KSLI. Met a lot of people 2 weeks ago, commando`s 1st Commando Brigade, 4th KSLI vets

Comment

Hi Jeroen, I know that when I am with the Vets I am so interested in what they are telling me, I too forget to take photos.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I know what you mean, i wish i had two pair of hands, one for taking pictures,. And one for writing the stories down.

Jeroen

Comment

Jeroen,
                Thanks for posting this thread, which was very interesting, I look forward to reading the rest.
                Regards
                Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Im very sad, Len past away............

Just heart it true email, ive recieved my last letter in august..

Comment

So sorry to hear this... So many veterans passing away. You were fortunate to spend time with such a brave man!
                    Sean

Comment

This is very sad news. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Please take time to talk to all the Veterans you can. Time is not on their side.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Jerone,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with your friend Len. I took my father in law back to some of his battlefields in Holland in 2001 (he served with the South Alberta Regiment)
                        and if his health holds, we'll return next year.

I found your photos of the drop locations most intriguing. Have you any more? I have need off such info for an upcoming project. If you wish to get in touch with me, my e-mail is:

rvolstad@telusplanet.net

Cheers,
                        Ron Volstad

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X