Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lost my best friend...

Guys..

My best friend, Alan Smith passed on last week.. Alan was a Vietnam veteran, Father, brother and best friend to many in the Tampa Bay area..He re-introduced me to my fascination with German WW1 and II militaria..He was the owner of the "War Shop" in Tampa and was the foremost respected authority regarding questions about nearly anything to do with WW2..He spent days when he had no customers building wooden reproductions of WWI and 2 ships and his 3 cats were his life..Alan was a person who regarded a friends feelings above his own and who would go above and beyond to make you feel better if life seemed to get the most of you at times..Alan grew up in France during the early 50's and I'll always remember his story of playing as a child in some old German armour in the woods and also, his recollections of the Vietnam war and the combat that he saw there..Alans death was a shock to many and especially me.. ...I attended my first, and his last Militaria show in Maitland, Florida this year and i will always remember it..Alan purchased a Jap helmet and a very nice SA dagger which he was very proud of.. I ask my friends at Wehrmacht-Awards to all give him a big salute..I've researched many an award that he purchased with the aid of this site. He was very appreciative of that and quite amazed at the expanse of knowledge that I gained from pondering this site for many a night..

Thanks to Seba and everyone who has shared their knowledge on this site, I have learned so much from you all..

Regards,

James

Hi James, sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. He sounded like a great guy.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I am sure that he will be missed by many.

My Deepest Sympathy,
      Paul Reck

Comment

Hi James,

Sad for you.
        Otto

Comment

I'm Sorry about your friend.

Was he the gentleman that had his 'war shop" ads in Military trader Magazine? I spoke on the phone a few times with him. We both had an interest in M40 helmets, if i'm thinking of the same guy.

Comment

Derek,

Yes Alan was the person with the ads in the trader..He absolutley loved WW2 German helmets. I'm posting his obituary as it just appeared in the papers this morning:
            <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=lgyHeading vAlign=bottom width="55%">Alan Smith</TD><TD width="1%"></TD><TD class=lgyNormal align=right width="44%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=lgyNotice colSpan=3>SMITH, Alan Dale, 62, of Tampa, passed away May 10, 2005. Alan was a disabled veteran who served in the U.S. Army as a captain during Vietnam. He is survived by his brother, Charlie Smith of Columbus, Ohio; son, Bobby Elliott of Lutz; and three nieces. A graveside service will military honors will be held 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 19, 2005, at Florida National Cemetery, Bushnell. MacDonald Funeral Home (813) 933-4950 Send online condolences to http://www.macdonaldfuneral.com
            Published in the TBO.com on 5/18/2005.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

I'm sorry to hear these sad news.
              Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

RIP.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X