Nuremberg Swastika

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuremberg Swastika

I saw this post on Facebook and thought I would share it here before it was taken down by Facebook.

“The famous Nuremburg swastika was a war prize for General Patton and shipped home to his wife’s estate near me in Hamilton, Mass. where it was on display for years until his daughter in-law had had enough of it and donated it to the renowned collector, Ken Rendell. She also gave him an Eagle from the parade grounds.

Unfortunately, after being in a museum for 20 years, it is currently in storage and awaiting a new home near WDC since Ken sold the museum to the grandson of Estée Lauder for $25m who is planning on building a new museum in the future”
    Attached Files

Now that's pretty F-in' cool!

Certainly the "Eagle from the parade grounds" is not the same as the one in that photo. RIGHT?

Comment

What an amazing piece!!

Comment

Interesting always pressumed it was destroyed for some reason, and being a Patton war trophy is very cool indeed

Comment

Very historical.

Wow. Amazing seeing that. I know another member on this forum who was friends with a US GI present at the famous event where the 3rd Army blew up the large swastika on top of the stadium. This GI brought home a big hunk of the bronze that was scattered on the field and gave it to my friend. Several GI's were wounded and a few killed (I think) when that was blown up.
          Paul

Comment

Interesting item. I notice in the b/w photo with the GI's on top of the structure the upper left arm of the swaz has a dark spot which I would expect is the bullet/shrapnel hole in the modern image with the hole turned to be on the upper right.

Comment

It's my understanding these fella's are from the 45th Division of the US 7th Army . . . and it's hard to believe one of them didn't swipe that swastika from the Luitpold platform before GSP arrived.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                Interesting item. I notice in the b/w photo with the GI's on top of the structure the upper left arm of the swaz has a dark spot which I would expect is the bullet/shrapnel hole in the modern image with the hole turned to be on the upper right.

It’s there
                Just on the top
                It was installed incorrectly in the museum.
                Once you notice that sprang it all falls into place with the original photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for posting, Eddietheboy. I never would have thought it survived. I assumed those large emblems went the way of the Zepplinfeld stadium swastika.

Steve
                  ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Originally posted by uscapturephotos View Post
                    Wow. Amazing seeing that. I know another member on this forum who was friends with a US GI present at the famous event where the 3rd Army blew up the large swastika on top of the stadium. This GI brought home a big hunk of the bronze that was scattered on the field and gave it to my friend. Several GI's were wounded and a few killed (I think) when that was blown up.
                    Paul
                    I bought some relics years ago from a veteran that was with an Engineer Unit that placed the charges on the large swastika/wreath that was famously destroyed.

It had a large American flag displayed across it and was part of an large award ceremony where a MOH was awarded. The flag was removed and then the swas. was destroyed like some sort of fireworks 'finale'.

He didn't mention anything about injuries or deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by uscapturephotos View Post
                      Paul
                      That must have been some sight to take in!

I don't believe anyone was killed, and I doubt any were even wounded. Here is a story on the destruction of the swastika and it doesn't note that anyone was hurt:
                      https://taskandpurpose.com/history/w...a-nazi-germany

If you see the videos no one is even near it. If someone was killed it would be more common knowledge and I've never read one account suggesting otherwise.

Comment

swastika story details ???

Originally posted by Peter_Suciu View Post
                        ... Here is a story on the destruction of the swastika ...
                        https://taskandpurpose.com/history/w...a-nazi-germany
                        ... "On April 22, 1945, a victorious U.S. Army destroyed one

of the greatest symbols of Germany’s Nazi regime: a giant

marble swastika that overlooked the Zeppelintribüne, Adolf

Hitler’s most powerful pulpit, at the heart of the Nazi party

rally grounds. ..."

I believe that the swastika was sheet metal not marble.
                        Exploded metal fragments can be seen hitting the ground.
                        OFW
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTodK24KG6E

And with music ...
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxkTP2jvVns
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by oldflagswanted; 03-04-2020, 12:43 PM.
                        sigpic
                        .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X