Sobibor photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sobibor photos

Recently discovered Sobibor photos from Deputy Commandant Johann Niemann's grandson -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...2fe_story.html

Great. I’ve been there and walked the grounds with the famous David Irving no less. Fantastic to put some pics to the grounds! Johnno.

Comment

and did the "famous "denied the Holocaust again?

Comment

IMO, given the social and political sensitivities of III Reich items in Germany, it is somewhat of a miracle that the grandson did not destroy the photos (and anything/everything else related to his family's involvement in WWII). Needless to say, I am very happy to read that these historically significant items appear to have been donated to respected institutions who will preserve the photos and make them available for educational purposes.

From a collector's standpoint, this "family home" (where the photos were stored) sounds very interesting . . . effectively a time capsule from the WWII-era. I must confess that some of my first thoughts were "what else" is (was) stored at the home? Per the article, Niemann's personal effects were shipped back to the family in Germany after he was killed in the 1943 prisoner uprising. Just makes you wonder what other items of historical interest might be packed away in the home (and what disposition might be made of same, as it sounds like the grandson is in the process of having a significant "clean out" of the property).

Comment

social and political sensitivities? Dont think its different then in your world, except of the guns ...

I bought enough and still today from there and there. What you think all survived and still is?
          An older friend of mine got years ago a shoe box full with fieldpost letters from a guy in the east where you could make the worst brutal movie out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert H View Post
            and did the "famous "denied the Holocaust again?
            He certainly put his spin on it. We took no notice of him really, maybe myself getting a bit worked up at times and wanting to punch his head in. We just viewed him as a guide getting us to the camps, Sobibor, Treblinka, Belzec Auschwitz-Birkenau and the huge massacre site at Rumbula in Riga Latvia that my uncle was a eye witness to no less. Irving is a total tool, and was a bus conductor for us no more. We were hoping to get some information from him about some of the 3rd Reich people he had interviewed over the years, no his denial nonsense. Johnno.

Comment

BTW: I just noticed that there is a more substantive thread about these newly-discovered photos in the "Photos" sub-forum. The other thread reproduces a number of the photos and provides details about a book that has been published w/ all of the photos.

Comment

I didn't realize Irving was doing tours of death camps. That's interesting.

Why is he, an expert on the Third Reich, doing tours of these sites if he believes there was no death camps there? Wouldn't it be outside his purview?

Does he show up and say "On this site, in 1943, nothing happened"?

Genuinely curious. I'm sure there is an angle, I just haven't heard it.

Comment

Hi,

more infos and pictures about the photo album :

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?t=1032132

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru....php?t=1032056

An English edition will be also made by the USHMM, thanks to Steve0 for the info !

See You

Vince

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X