WW2Treasures

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fliegerschule Friedrichshafen HJ / Luftwaffe Flieger (Grandfather's docs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fliegerschule Friedrichshafen HJ / Luftwaffe Flieger (Grandfather's docs)

I have a few documents pertaining to my Grandfather's (Lothar E. Brenner) involvement in WWII that I need help with. I'm trying to discern fact from fiction, truth from stories.

The Documents:

-A letter from the Deutsche Dienststelle in Berlin, stating that while his personal papers were lost to "wartime events", they have record of him being at Fliegerschule Friedrichshafen, and being a POW of the British.

-An NSFK letter stating that more training is recommended.

-POW release form?

The Stories:

Stories that are told of him, involve the Messerschmitt 163, that he was either in a unit flying these out of Friedrichshafen, or that he was training to fly one.

I believe that the runways were damaged by bombing and rendered unusable in March '45, so the flying unit disbanded. From what I was told, his unit was absorbed into another fighting unit, possibly with the 38th SS Nibelungen, which was partially formed in Sonthofen with over 8000 HJ boys. Ordensburg Sonthofen is a days march directly East of Friedrichshafen.

The information I was told about his involvement in the War was that he was taken POW by the US in May. He then was marched back to Dusseldorf and held as a POW. My family were either notified that he was MIA or KIA, as they feared him dead for months. He finally made it back home to Vennhausen 3, Dusseldorf supposedly on foot, tattered, weather beaten, and flea ridden, some months after the War.

Finding Answers

I cannot find any information on a "Fliegerschule" located in Friedrichshafen, though there was a "Flieger-Rgt. 94" flying out of there. If anyone has information on this airbase / fliegerschule that would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if anyone has more information as to the forming of the 38th SS Niebelungen at Ordensburg Sonthofen and the HJ that were enlisted, that would also be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

POW Discharge Papers
    Attached Files

Comment

Soldbuch sized portrait.
      Attached Files

Comment

wonderful document group. Birth date looks like he was around 15yrs old in 1945. no way he was training for the Me163. You would have to have a lot of flying experience to be selected to that aircraft type.

Comment

Thanks Bill. Yes he turned 16 on May 5th 1945, so he was only 15 when the NSFK document was issued. I know he had extensive glider training in Düsseldorf and was "Selected" for combat pilot training in January / February '45. No idea about the 163's requirements (just what I've heard), but I know there were young HJ "volksjager" pilots being trained to fly HE162's out of Trebbin. Could the Friedrichshafen program be similar to this?

Does anyone have knowledge about Fliegerschule Friedrichshafen and what type aircraft were flown out of there?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X