X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWII KIA B-17 Navigator’s Ike Jacket

Source: http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-d...g=1&rid=515369
    Attached Files
    Last edited by fritz x; 04-29-2015, 03:49 PM.

#42-3415 - B-17F

Group
    390 BG

Squadron
    571 BS

MIA 1943-10-10 - MACR #: 859

Notes: 42-3415 Delivered: Dallas 11/6/43; Topeka 21/7/43; Kearney 1/8/43;Topeka 12/8/43; Assigned: 571BS/390BG [FC-Q] Framlingham 25/8/43; MIA Munster 10/10/43 Pilot: George Starnes, Co-Pilot: Warren Mosegard, Navigator: Lavere Shofstahl, Bombardier: Dick Hatten, Engineer / Top Turret Gunner: Don Hatfield, Radio Operator: John Massa, Ball Turret Gunner: Chas Dean, Waist Gunner: Chas Stamiris, Waist Gunner: Paul Sucher (9KIA); Tail Gunner: Bob Coles (POW); coll w/42-3328 (390BG which had exploded), crashed Nefigmann Far, Mesumer Damm, near Burgsteinfurt, Germany. MACR 859. MISS BEHAVIN'.

Source: B-17 Master Log - Dave Osbourne
    Attached Files
    Last edited by fritz x; 04-29-2015, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Name tag
      Attached Files

Comment

Navigator's wings
        Attached Files

Comment

Bullion Air Corps patch
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

I recently did some research on this Ike jacket I have in my collection and came to find out its original owner was killed in action during WWII. The name on the inside of the jacket is “J.G. Shofstahl.” I believe the “J” initial is a typo, perhaps done by the tailor, and is actually supposed to be a “L.” According to the NARA website, the only Shofstahl who served during WWII was Lavere G. Shofstahl, and he served in the Air Corps. After doing some more research, I discovered Lavere was a navigator, which explains the navigator’s wings on the jacket. I also discovered Lavere was killed only two months after being shipped overseas, hence the lack of overseas stripes on the jacket. The jacket was made in 1943 by a tailor in San Antonio, and Lavere was stationed at Kelly Field in San Antonio in 1943. Apparently, this jacket was shipped home to his next of kin after he was killed. Also, note the Purple Heart ribbon bar on Lavere’s jacket. If anyone has anything to add regarding my research on the jacket, please let me know. I would like to order Lavere’s military records from the NARA, but I am unsure if I will be able to get them since I am not a family member.

Thanks,
            Ted
            Attached Files
            Last edited by fritz x; 04-29-2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Hi Ted,

I was watching that one as well, it's certainly an interesting jacket. It obviously started like as a four pocket coat and was later cut down into an "Ike" style jacket.

You can obtain his file from the NARA, I usually use a researcher like Geoff at Golden Arrow Research as it's quicker, and doesn't cost much more.

Two observations. IMO the metal insignia and the PH ribbon may have been added by a collector, and on the label the number below his name is his navigator cadet class, so if you can establish which nav school he went to, his class book will have his picture and confirm the name.

If you obtain his IDPF (Individual Deceased Personnel File) it might list his effects, including on occasion uniform items.

Good luck with your research.

Matt.

Comment

One of Shofstahl's family members posted this information about him online:

Lavere George Shofstahl
                M, #46700, b. 6 January 1916, d. 10 October 1943

Father George Alvin Shofstahl1 b. 20 Apr 1873, d. 6 Sep 1959
                Mother Nellie Eliza Green1 b. 14 Aug 1878, d. 29 Aug 1967

Last Edited 24 Feb 2002

Lavere George Shofstahl was christened at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Arlington Co., VA, USA. He was born on 6 January 1916. He died on 10 October 1943 over Europe in a B-17 Bomber at age 27.
                George Lavere Shofstahl Via, Phone conversation between Elton Green and Doris Shofstahl, 8 Feb. 1998..... 'Lavere was a navigator, 2nd Leutenet. A crippled plane ran into the B-17 bomber that Levere was in, causing it to crash. Only the tailgunner survived. We don't know what mission he was on, or where the plane went down'. -------- Doris said that Lavere was only in the Air Force for about 1 1/2 years, and in England for only three weeks, when his plane went down on his fifth bombing run. ------------ Lavere's Tour of Duty, WWII Enlisted in Ft. Niagra, NY February, 1942 - Jefferson Barracks, MO Flight D, 566 School Squadron April, 1942 - Chanute Field, Rantout, IL August, 1942 - San Antonio, TX October, 1942 - Ellington Field, Houston, TX Advanced Flying School December, 1942 - Buckinham Army Airfield, Ft. Myers, FL January 27, 1943 - Houston, TX Arrived in Texas Kelly Field, San Antonio, TX February 3, 1943 - Hondo Army Air Field Entered Navigational School June, 1943 - Pyote, TX June-July, 1943 - Dyersburg, TX 346 Bomb Group AAB August, 9th, 1943 - AAFNS Group 3 Class September 24th, 1943 - England, 571st. Squadron, 390th Bomb Group October 10th, 1943 - European Theater, 'Killed in Action' ------------- Burial was originally by the Germans at a cemetery in Burgsteinfurt,Germany. Lavere was then removed to a U.S. Military, 'Newville' cemetery, in Condroz, Belgium, which is about 9 miles SW of Liege, Belgium. After the war was over, Lavere was moved back to the United States, and reburied in the Arlington National Cemetery, in Arlington, VA, Section #34, Grave #3251.

-Ted
                Last edited by fritz x; 04-30-2015, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Rimmer View Post
                  Hi Ted,

On the label the number below his name is his navigator cadet class, so if you can establish which nav school he went to, his class book will have his picture and confirm the name.

Matt.
                  Shofstahl entered navigator school in June of 1943 at Hondo Army Airfield. Do you know where I can find the 1943 class book for Hondo Army Airfield?

Thanks,
                  Ted
                  Last edited by fritz x; 04-30-2015, 11:14 AM.

Comment

The clutch fasteners on the navigator's wings were made by Ballou in 1942, and the cloth under the wings is darker than on the rest of the uniform. This is all evidence that the wings are probably original to the uniform.

-Ted

Comment

Pay Records while at Hondo Airfield
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by fritz x; 05-10-2015, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Pay Record
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wouldn't Shofstahl have been wearing his navigator's wings on his last mission?

- Ted

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X